Fresh Duck..........How do I....?

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My wife loves duck. So, I showed her the one that cowgirl did and here immediate reaction was...........:shocked::jaw:. So after 28 years of marriage I took this for a go......:thumb: I acquired a 6.5# fresh, but frozen, duckling. It is resting in my fridge awaiting treatment. So how do I attack this? I have cooked most everything on my smokers from pork, chicken, lamb, beef...well everything short of a balrog as I'm not lucky enough to get one of those in the lump bag......:tsk:

So my thoughts are, after reading a pile of posts on here, as follows.

1.) Using a standard poultry brine, submerge the quacker for 24 hrs in the fridge

2.) Prick the skin every inch to allow the fat an escape route

3.) Use some available poultry friendly rub all over said duck

4.) Smoke at #250 for Not sure how many hours. Plan on using some grape vine and peach wood I just picked up

5.) Kick the drum up to 300* to crisp the skin

6.) Make some sort of glaze to cover the said duck upon completion

So my questions are:

A.) I have read about medium rare and NO MORE.....What internal is this? breast I assume is the test area.

B.) What temp to start at and at what point to I kick it in to crisp the skin?

Oh, stuffing like apples and or oranges. what's your take on that.....:becky:

About the only thing I'm good at with duck is knowing how to step on them... Gore cooks duck fairly often (not to mention has good luck with the lump Balrog). Hopefully he chimes in soon...

Last edited:
For me, the hardest part about duck is fat rendering. I like a crispy skin and that thick layer of fat to be rendered. My wife has a wonderful recipe for Peking duck that she makes a few times a year, but it is a three-day process. Much of it is based on getting that fat rendered -- one step in day 1 or day 2 is to pour a pot of boiling water slowly over the duck. It's a fair amount of work all told. I've tried adapting that three times on the smoker and for some reason, I can't get the fat to render quite like it should. And I've been told if I try that ever again, I'd better start looking for another wife. So, she can do that in the oven. It's not like I can outdo her with that anyway. What I've taken to doing is just cooking the breasts on the grill. This is a two-step process and it is painfully easy:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2282597&postcount=35

Note that this could've been fried a bit more to get more fat rendered.

The sauce on this is optional.

I should add that duck cooked this way is best medium rare. Cooked more, it tastes like liver. The salmonella threat isn't the same as that of the mass-processed chicken we get here. I have had many ducks cooked slowly and well done that taste great, but I do know that is is not the case here.

Okay so I got this whole duck and I wanna cook it, but I need to render all the fat off and then slop on some sauce......right:biggrin1: And if I cook it on the smoker, my wife might leave and then it's me and a duck that tastes like liver.......:mmph: So, I should cook it in the oven, forget the smoker and have a happy wife? So were does BBQ come in............:decision:

I heard somewhere you have to blow the duck first. After I heard that I stopped paying attention, so sorry I can't help. Try bigabyte, or maybe one of the Aussies, I think they're into that kind of thing over there.

Back