Judging question

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I plan to take a judging class as soon as one is available in my area, but so far nothing is on the schedule.

In the mean time, could you guys/gals give me some tips on what they are looking for? Specifically, I'm confused about the following:

How do they judge tenderness for chicken?
Are they informed about the different types of entries they may see? Burnt ends, for example, could throw off a judge that has never seen anything but slices.
How does the brisket "pull" test work? Is there a one, two or whatever second count before the meat pulls apart, or is it just whether it does not or happens way too fast?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks

One will never know, I think I should take a class also, because I do not get it.

I took a class at the Jack. Learned alot. All of your guestions will be answered.

They are looking for garnish, messy sauce and untrimmed thighs.

I plan to take a judging class as soon as one is available in my area, but so far nothing is on the schedule.

In the mean time, could you guys/gals give me some tips on what they are looking for? Specifically, I'm confused about the following:

Are they informed about the different types of entries they may see? Burnt ends, for example, could throw off a judge that has never seen anything but slices.
How does the brisket "pull" test work? Is there a one, two or whatever second count before the meat pulls apart, or is it just whether it does not or happens way too fast?

Thanks

Are you avaiable to do classes...Sorry, more info here than the CBJ class I took!

The class will be very informative and most likely clarify your questions.
It's fun too.
All as per above.

The class is definately worth taking. Rubbery chicken skin will lower tenderness scores

I took a class at the Jack. Learned alot. All of your guestions will be answered.

Lippy,
Did you take the class this year? I was fortunate enough to teach it this year. If you did, I hope you enjoyed it. I had a great time. Mike and Theresa Lake and their crew did a superb job on the entry trays!

Bunny

Thanks

There should be some superb classes around your area with teachers Mike and Theresa Lake in 2009.

I am trying to get in the one on 11/15/2008 in MD. I hope they get back to me.

You'll know the good food from the bad! They might leave a tooth pic in the box, put some red tip lettuce in the box, wrong garnish, throw ribs in your box without bones in them, 5 pieces of meat instead of 6, meat not cut/ sliced all the way ect, ect. Read through the KCBS rules. You'll get more training judging lots of contest.

Each organization has slightly different guidelines, so it depends on which one you want to judge for. If you are talking about KCBS, then here is a link to info on a judging class in Shannon, which I think is only a couple of hours away from you.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=j&year=2009&month=02&id=1531&db=k

In the meantime though,
Chicken should be moist and juicy...that is pretty much it...I was told not to judge the skin for tenderness, only for flavor. Having said that, I know a lot of judges DO mark down for rubbery skin.

After only a few comps, most judges have seen nearly everything. Even if something does surprise us though, we are still judging based on taste and tenderness. If someone included burnt ends that are tough and chewy or fatty, they will likely be marked down, but if they were tender and tasty, we would still give good scores.

The brisket test is pretty simple...the meat should give some resistance when pulled, but still be able to easily be pulled apart. You just sort of get the feel for when it is enough.

I hope this helped somewhat, but the class should fill in any gaps.

In the meantime though,
Chicken should be moist and juicy...that is pretty much it...I was told not to judge the skin for tenderness, only for flavor. Having said that, I know a lot of judges DO mark down for rubbery skin.

Thats weird, I was told the opposite.
We were told if the chicken is presented with skin, the skin should be also be considered in the score. They also said if you do not like skin to at least taste it.

If someone included burnt ends that are tough and chewy or fatty, they will likely be marked down, but if they were tender and tasty, we would still give good scores.

You lost me on this one.

As a CBJ can you elaborate on what you ment?

Back