logo

Stick Burner question

Mdsteelerfan

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been cooking on a green egg for past 3 yrs. 2 weeks ago i ordered a stick burner. My understanding is that i need to season it for 3-6 hours before i can cook on it. My plan is to christian it with 2 SRF briskets. My question is, do you think after playing around with temp management for 3-6 hrs during seasoning i’d be proficient enuff for a long cook? I’ve watched a lot of videos & it doesn’t look all that difficult to keep temp, however i do remember my first overnight cook on my egg & i over shot my temp by 100 plus & it took forver to come back down. Any & all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

I decided to go with a LSG. Initially i was goin to go with a 899 cheyenne but the shipping cost to maryland ticked me off. Thanks for advice, i’ll start with a few butts & some ribs.

Thanks, unfortunately i have to 10 plus more weeks till i get to light my first fire. On positive note it gives me some time to tell gf i might have spent a few more $ than i said i was for a grill, lol.

My first cook on a stick burner was a lesson. It was very bitter smoke flavored. I think it was also a brisket and chicken? I would hate to see you do that to a couple of briskets. Fatty and pork steaks would be a good first-go-at-it. Figure out some of the temp control AND a clean fire and you will be on your way to brisket paradise!

A LSG will be easy, but not sure I would risk 2 SRFs on the FIRST cook. I'd do Costco brisket or chick and ribs.

I don't think it'll take 3 or more hours to start the seasoning process.
Liberally spray it down with some cooking oil and light her up empty and run it for an hour or so. That'll give you a chance to learn how she likes her wood. Just like women, every pit is a bit different.
Maybe throw on a fatty or some chicken quarters after about an hour or when you feel confident about keeping good smoke.
Save the hi-dollar meat for a later time when you've mastered your new friend.
And don't forget to christen it with the beverage of your choice so the Q-gods won't crap on you later.

I think it help to further cure the paint if you keep the temperature below 250* for a few hours when seasoning a new pit.

I know there are some who say just let her rip...... just saying.... I would not do it.

Do not preheat splits on your firebox until it is seasoned and the paint hardens. I can't find the thread but somebody with a LSG messed up their paint as it softened a little during seasoning. It was scratched down to the metal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with the seasoning of the new pit as well as cooking a few easy things like chicken, turkey and sausage before the long cook of a brisket. The seasoning is important but so is learning fire management with your particular stick burner. I got a 20" Horizon Classic last September and have used it multiple times each week since and learned so much about fire management at different temps. I am still learning and experimenting but feel I have my foot on a rock going forward now that I have some basics down. And with the cost of brisket these days, even Costco or Sam' Club, you want to be in the best position to succeed. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ken

Oh yes....start your stick burning journey off easy with some butts and or chickens. You will need to find out the temp that your smoker likes to run at. Brisket is too expensive to learn on.
Congratulations and best of luck!!

Thanks for all advice. Might christian with a butt & a walmart bristket. That way i will only be out $35-$40 if my cook ****s the bed. I plan kn using the warmer/oven to dry out my wood while i am cooking. Now i need to find a wood guy in maryland, lol. Not 100% i recall
reading on LSG’s site that i need to season it for 3-6 hrs so the paint can dry or seal? Hopefully i’ll get a list of instructions when my grill arrives.

When my cooker was delivered I was out of the country for work. It sat in my 130 degree garage for 5 weeks before I fired it up. The paint around the FB/cook chamber still looks great. No signs of bubbling or splitting. Definitely run it low at first.

Back