Sausage Making Supplies

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to try and get everything ordered to be able to make sausage in the next day or so. I have been making some loose sausages for a while now but since the KA stuffer is worthless I haven’t done too much. I know a few of you on here are making sausage and I wondered if you might be able to take a look at my order so far. Anything I am missing? Don’t need? Paying way too much for? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

5lb Vertical Stuffer - $75
Hog Ring Pliers – $5.99
3/8” Hog Rings (100) – $2.50
Cleaning brushes – $6.99
Bacon Hangers – $5.10 each but I will probably get 3 or 4

Cure 1 (1lb) – $2.50
Cure 2 (1lb) - $2.50
“Special Meat Binder” (8oz) – $3.20
Dry Milk (1lb) – $3.20
Soy Protein (1lb) – $2.95
Dextrose (1lb) - $1.10
Bactoferm F-RM-52 - $15.00
Fermento (1.5lb) – 13.99

1lb Pork Sausage Bags (100) - $6.00
1lb Ground Beef Bags (100) - $6.00
32/35mm Hog Casing (100 yd) – $20.08
20/22mm Sheep Casing (100yd) – $24.67

The pliers and rings are for the sausage and ground beef bags but do you think the tape and bag sealer would be a better choice? It is a little more expensive but if it would seal better I would go that route.

I am also looking for a place to get vacuum sealer rolls cheap. Any suggestions for them? I found a place on here about 6 months ago but can’t find it now that I am ready to buy them.

Thanks.

sometimes you can get the bags cheap at tilia.com. They own the foodsaver brand.

Everything sounds right. Where can you get a 5lb stuffer for $75? I need one and that is way cheaper than the LEM.

It is from Grizzley. It isn't quite as good as the LEM but considerably cheaper. It has plastic gears and isn't completely made out of SS. For half the price though I am going to give it a shot. It has gotten decent reviews.

It is from Grizzley. It isn't quite as good as the LEM but considerably cheaper. It has plastic gears and isn't completely made out of SS. For half the price though I am going to give it a shot. It has gotten decent reviews.

With the plastic gears just make sure to add extra water to your mix when stuffing the smaller casings (18-22 mm).

With the plastic gears just make sure to add extra water to your mix when stuffing the smaller casings (18-22 mm).

Ok, ill keep that in mind. I hadn't heard that was much of a problem but most people strip the gears from trying to keep winding when the tube was empty.

Thanks.

I recently sold my 5lb grizzly when cabela's had an 11lb 2 speed model in their bargain cave. It stuffed a lot of sausage and never had issue with the plastic (nylon?) gears.

Not sure if you need cure #2 or the "bactoferm" unless you are gonna get seriously into fermented and dried sausages. That is a whole nother ballgame, that can require some specialty curing/drying chambers etc.

When I put sausage or ground beef in the 1 lb bags, I just use old "twisties" that i've saved from grocery store items.

I assume you already have a grinder?

I use vac bags from this guy on ebay.
3 Jumbo Bag Rolls 11x50 for all Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer - eBay (item 260504408148 end time Apr-03-11 17:49:58 PDT)

enjoy your new hobby! I know I do!

I do plan on doing soem curing and dried sausages so I will be needing the cure 2. I have an old fridge in the basement that for that past year I have been planning on turning into a meat locker. I will use it for dry aging and curing.

The little twist ties seem to seal it pretty well? How long do a freezer life you think you get with those bags?

I have the kitchenaid grinder attachment that I have been using for the past 5 years or so. I do want to upgrade to something bigger but that I will for now.

I was actually just about to say that I might have a change in plans because a guy on another forum sent me a link to the cabellas 7lb one that is on sale for $99.99. I am thinking I will go with that one instead. How do you like the 11lber?

I was actually just about to say that I might have a change in plans because a guy on another forum sent me a link to the cabellas 7lb one that is on sale for $99.99. I am thinking I will go with that one instead. How do you like the 11lber?

Just looked this up. I haven't used it, but it has a higher capacity and all steel gears at a really great price point, I don't think you can go wrong. I'd definitely go with that one over the Grizzly, just my $0.02.

Looks like a good inventory. A couple of things I can think of is one, to make sure you have a small enough stuffing horn for the sheep casing, I found out the hard way. Also, why order powdered milk and soy protein?

I do plan on doing soem curing and dried sausages so I will be needing the cure 2. I have an old fridge in the basement that for that past year I have been planning on turning into a meat locker. I will use it for dry aging and curing.

The little twist ties seem to seal it pretty well? How long do a freezer life you think you get with those bags?

I have the kitchenaid grinder attachment that I have been using for the past 5 years or so. I do want to upgrade to something bigger but that I will for now.

I think the twisties seal as good as tape would. I tend to use up my burger/sausage pretty quick so not in freezer more then 6 months.

I haven't had an opportunity to use the 11lb but the things a beast. I love the fact it has 2 speeds as that will save a lot of cranking when raising the plunger back up to remove the cylinder. I think the casings will slide onto the stainless nozzles easier then the plastic ones that come with the Grizzly. I never could get 5 lbs in that thing anyways. more like 4 1/2 or so.

Just looked this up. I haven't used it, but it has a higher capacity and all steel gears at a really great price point, I don't think you can go wrong. I'd definitely go with that one over the Grizzly, just my $0.02.

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like a good inventory. A couple of things I can think of is one, to make sure you have a small enough stuffing horn for the sheep casing, I found out the hard way. Also, why order powdered milk and soy protein?

Honestly? Because they are cheap and used quite a bit on the charcuterie recipes. :confused:

Honestly? Because they are cheap and used quite a bit on the charcuterie recipes. :confused:
I was curious about that because they are pretty much interchangeable in formulations , both binders. I've only used dry milk and never used the soy, didn't know if you had a specific preference in where you were using them. Thanks!

Ok, I have reworked my order some. Since cabelas has free shipping over $150 I added some stuff to that order and now won't be getting anything from Sausagemaker.com (was only getting 3 things from there to begin with) so that will save me some cost from shipping that.

I am getting the 7lb SS stuffer from cabelas instead of the cheap one from grizzley.
Won't be getting the Bactoferm or Fermento
Getting a home pak of sheep casing instead of a hak
Replace the ring pliers and rings with the bag tape sealer to get the cabelas order over $150
Adding encapsualted citric acid since someone on another forum reccomended using that instead of the fermento or bactoferm (I need to do some more reading on that though)
Adding a medium sized meat lug with lid.
And adding a 3rd bacon hanger.

All this and the price is $0.82 cents more than my original list. Sounds good to me for $243.03.

That doesn't include the vac rolls though.

special meat binder and dry milk are just about the same thing and used for the same thing. Just to let ya know
Also powder dextrose can be substituted with a ultimate chopper and sugar. in essence you make powder sugar with out the corn starch. ratio's are a little diffirent but you can find those I am pretty sure it is minus 30%

special meat binder and dry milk are just about the same thing and used for the same thing.

Yeah, I did know that but it says that it is better. I know they would of course say it is better but I figure I will try them both and see if I can notice a difference.

Also powder dextrose can be substituted with a ultimate chopper and sugar. in essence you make powder sugar with out the corn starch. ratio's are a little diffirent but you can find those I am pretty sure it is minus 30%

Actually, I do know for a fact that dextrose and normal table sugar are different in other ways than just the coursness. Dextrose is a simpler and inverted sugar . It is much easier for yeast and other things to break down. In sausage making it would be the starters that would be using it.

Dextrose is used a lot in homebrewing which is why I know all this. Plus that is dirt cheap compared to what I would be paying at a homebrew store and I am running low as it is. :p

I was thinking dextrose for regular sausage not dry aged....dry aged is a lot more finicky if you ask me, those are recipes I would not alter from at all.....sounds like you got all your stuff covered that's for sure...good luck and drink a beer for me also

I was thinking dextrose for regular sausage not dry aged....dry aged is a lot more finicky if you ask me, those are recipes I would not alter from at all.....sounds like you got all your stuff covered that's for sure...good luck and drink a beer for me also

Ok, I didn't think it was really used in anything other than fermented sausage. If it is just there for sweetness in a fresh sausge I don't know how the would work. It would work but the amounts would have to be adjusted probably because dextrose actually tastes less sweet.

But I haven't really had anyone told me I am missing anything and I would rather have to much than too litte so in about 5 mintues I will be a little less than $250 poorer. :heh:

Back