If you had to choose 1 all purpose smoking wood what would it be?

Best all purpose wood

• Apple

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Apricot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cherry

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • Hickory

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Pecan

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Oak

Votes: 21 15.7%

• Total voters
Like many others said, different faves for different applications. But if I had to pick just one for all purpose, gimme the hickory.

Love apple wood, I use it for pork, beef, chicken, fish, turkey, duck, it has never let me down.

I am going to pile on here and say hickory. I do prefer pecan for bird, but I can get the same effect (almost) by using less hickory.

Cherry here. Love the smell coming off any cook. Still need to try pecan. Wasn't impressed with apple but it may be old.

Pecan is from the hickory family, so hickory will be 2 for 1:thumb:

of the options listed, I picked cherry, but I prefer peach.

Love apple and cherry, but I just got offered a bush cord of maple, took about a facecord. I didn't need anymore and it was a lot of work to haul it out of this fella's backyard to my truck.

I probably should have said I do have a face cord of oak and maple at home but I don't think it is quite seasoned yet so I am getting this to get me through for awhile.

I voted for hickory. But, I have to say... I'm not 100% sure I can tell the difference between hickory and oak when it comes to the finished product. (Maybe my taste buds are just not sophisticated enough.) :rolleyes:

I just really like the smell of burning hickory... it smells like, well, BBQ. :-D

Plenty of Oak and Hickory available around here and both are good smoking woods for my stick burner but I scored two ricks of Pecan this summer it is by far my wife's favorite. Pecan is Top shelf in my opinion.

Oak for me. Keeps the pit warm for a long period of time. It burns hot and last, and give a nice mellow smoke flavor.

Back