• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ultimate Drum Smoker build

Nice job! It should last you a lifetime.

And its so good to see that you didn't fark it up and use Ball valves on it!!:icon_wink

Can you explain in detail why ball valves fark it up, please( I have a UDS planned):confused:

Beautiful build, great craftman ship...(former rotor blade inspector)...pass pass pass!:biggrin:

I received an email today from Artic Products concerning the purchase of their 22.5" stainless lid. It was quoted at $27.95 plus shipping and handling. I think this is a pretty good deal for a proper fitting stainless lid.

I called yesterday to check on mine, and it hadn't shipped yet, although they didn't seem to know why (?) She assured me that it would be sent out right away. I can't wait!

I received an email today from Artic Products concerning the purchase of their 22.5" stainless lid. It was quoted at $27.95 plus shipping and handling. I think this is a pretty good deal for a proper fitting stainless lid.

Mine wasn't proper fitting!! I had to get the BFH out and wack it a few times!:biggrin: Still didn't like the fit as it was just sitting on the lip of the drum and a good stiff wind could have knocked it off:eek:. Made a mod that solved that problem. Got 4 #10 machine screws and nuts. Drilled four holes around the lid to accept the screws. They angled in very slightly. Now the lid is rock solid. Next problem with the screws was now it held the lid the width of the nut and washer!! Fix for that was to get some furnace cord and glue to the lid, wal-la, tight seal:grin::grin:. Now I can bang on the drum to knock the ash off the coals and not worry about the lid falling off.

Of course if you have read the entire UDS thread(I did) you will know that all drums are not made equal. You may get lucky and it WILL be a proper fit :biggrin:.

Good luck, I should get a kick back from Arctic yours will be the second other than mine that has been purchased since I found them!!!!

Paul B

I have a feeling the Arctic lid is going to be too small on my drum, unless it's bigger than a Weber. I already have a 'Plan B'; I'm going to add a strip of SS that is 1/8 X 1-1/4" around the inside of my bead. I'll attach it with screws and caulk w/ hi-temp silicone if necessary. Although it is tricky to balance, my drum runs perfect with the Weber lid; I hope the Arctic works as well.

I have a feeling the Arctic lid is going to be too small on my drum, unless it's bigger than a Weber. I already have a 'Plan B'; I'm going to add a strip of SS that is 1/8 X 1-1/4" around the inside of my bead. I'll attach it with screws and caulk w/ hi-temp silicone if necessary. Although it is tricky to balance, my drum runs perfect with the Weber lid; I hope the Arctic works as well.

If your weber lid sits on the rim of your drum the Arctic should also. So if you were to do my mod of 4 screws and furnace rope gasket, after mashing the outer rim somewhat you will be good to go. Look at this pic:

DSCF5292.jpg

The screws angle in so it "makes" it a good fit. Here is another shot:

DSCF5287.jpg

You can kinda see the mashed outer rim, not much, just enough to make a good seal when the furnace rope is on it and the screws keep the lid in place solid as a rock.

Hope this helps.............

Paul B

I finally got my Arctic lid! I have some work to do- it's a bit small- about the same as the Weber kettle lid. I'm going to add a strip of stainless around the inside of the drum bead- that ought to be about right. I'm out of town for the next week, so I won't get to it for a while, but I'll post pics once I'm done. I also have an interesting idea for plugging the intake holes.....

I got lucky and found one on craig's. It was used to ship lemon extract from Italy. A local scrap dealer used to sell them for $65; I don't know if they still get them in or not. I would call places that deal in scrap metals- it's worth a shot. BTW- a new one is about $800!

The UDS is basically done! The Arctic lid is a little small, so I added a strip of SS around the inside for a good fit. My adjustable intake is made from conduit for now, but I plan to make one of SS eventually. For some reason, Photobucket has become nearly impossible to get pictures from, but I'll try:
IMGP5021.jpg

IMGP5023.jpg

IMGP5024.jpg

IMGP5025.jpg

Mush, looks great, I likey................. But where did you get the shinny bottle opener??????

Paul B

Last edited:
Hey Mush

What size U bolts did you use? I picked up some 1/4in ones only because that was all they had... I suppose that unless I am planning to cook 1500 lbs of meat at one time they should work fine. :shock:

I am going to try and get some SS nipples for my vents today and a riser. You mentioned that you have 3 x 1 1/4? What temps are you able to reach with that? Do you have any problems with water getting into you riser during a cook?

There is a local SS distributor around me that may have some ss expanded for my fire box. If they become a reliable source of all things SS I will let you know.

My U-bolts are 5/16, but they are way overkill. I get all my stuff from Mcmaster-Carr. Easy online ordering, and they'll sell to anyone, unlike some industrial suppliers. Their catalog is simply amazing, if you like industrial stuff. Notice the polished acorn nuts I put on the outside- gotta love the bling!

My drum will hit 450 or so with a fully lit load of coal. My firebox is 16" in diameter. Normally, I fill it about half way, with a few chunks of wood in it, and add about 10 lit coals. I immediately get the food on, and run it with the exhaust wide open, and just the one vent open. It settles in at 225 all day with that set-up.

I suppose in a real frog-strangler, a measurable amount of rain could get in my riser, but I can't imagine it would hurt anything. My riser is electrical conduit for the time being. I'd like to do something in SS eventually, but I'm still playing around with what I want to do.

My U-bolts are at 2" and 8" from the top. I drilled out a bolt to make a holder for a 12" long thermometer, and put it halfway between grates. I made my firebasket so that when it sits on the lower set of U-bolts, it just clears a grate on the upper set. To be honest, we grill more than smoke, so I'm glad I went with that set-up. I made a handle for the firebasket so I can lower it to the bottom for smoking.

I'm not sure if a SS basket would be worth it, unless the price was right. SS only remains rust free up to a certain temperature, and high temperatures seem to reduce the 'stainless' component. After reading about mini-baskets, I'm going to make one for very low temp smokes. I like to do fish, and even 225 is a bit high for fish.

I talked to the ss distributor/fabricator today about some hardware and the expanded. They didn't have any expanded scrap that was big enough for my firebox and the cheapest they could go for a half sheet was $95. (4x5 sheet) so I passed on it for now. I ordered some 5/16 U's but will probably cancel them. The 1/4's I picked up at Lowes will probably be fine. They are going to get me some 1 1/4 ss nipples, elbow and pipe for the vents and such so that should be good.

Back