Chuckie pRon...

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Saw this on sale yesterday when I was at Safeway shopping for my pizza ingredients, seemed like a good idea...

5565419617_0da17a0999_b.jpg

5565423817_d478a06c55_b.jpg

Decided to go Santa Maria seasoning, that combo tastes good on everything.....right?

5565421295_d4cfcf4c99_b.jpg

Gotta love Wicked Good lump, I think most of the bag is this size chunks...I love it when that happens.

5565995636_abd15501e1_b.jpg

Added some Hickory...

5565996906_c477e1c6b2_b.jpg

At 3 o'clock, it was go time...I hope you all are having a great day, more on this later :becky:

5565422773_716e725383_b.jpg

Y'all get WG up there? If there's any in SoCal I'm not aware of it.

Looks great so far btw - ain't done a chuckie yet but will soon:thumb:

Looks great. I've never cooked one myself. Can you let me know how long they take to cook (avg) and what temp you pulled it off the cooker?

JT

Looks great. I've never cooked one myself. Can you let me know how long they take to cook (avg) and what temp you pulled it off the cooker?

JT

This one was on for 6 hrs @ 280-300, I foiled it for the last 90 minutes or so. Not sure of the internal temp, just left it on until it was pretty much probe tender. This one probably needed a bit more time, but I wanted to go to bed.

JT

I agree with Bover, but will add that there are two different ways to cook it:

1) For Slicing, like brisket. I've done 3 or 4 this way. I think I'm typically cooking ~250* for ~5 hrs. Very tasty. I really enjoy this. And for me and my wife, it is a lot easier to put a 2.5# chuck on the smoker and have a few left overs than it is to put a 14# brisket on.

2) For pulling, like pork butt. I never start early enough with my chuck roasts, so I always end up with sliced. :wink:

Also, do a search for Pepper Stout Beef by Vince. Really really tasty. This is a shredded variety. I made it twice and it was great. Someone id it for the current "I'd Hit That" Throwdown. So check that out.

When I pulled this one off last night, it felt like I will get some pulled and sliced out of it. This was my first attempt at a Chuckie, next time I will get it on sooner.

We get Wicked Good from Oakpit/GreenleafBBQ. It is nice to have a local BBQ pro shop. Just looking at the results from John, Tim and Marty, the BBQ in the Tri-valley area has been greatly improved solely by Greenleaf opening in Livermore.

I see Tim rushed it.

We get Wicked Good from Oakpit/GreenleafBBQ. It is nice to have a local BBQ pro shop. Just looking at the results from John, Tim and Marty, the BBQ in the Tri-valley area has been greatly improved solely by Greenleaf opening in Livermore.

I completely agree.

I see Tim rushed it.

Didn't rush it, just ran out of time.

Back