• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wine Barrel Smoker

Very nice looking build so far. :thumb:

I still can't wrap my head around a wood wine barrel smoker. But, I did some searching the other day and saw a few videos... crazy. Most of the ones I saw used an electric heating element. Seems a safe way to go. I really don't know. I wish you luck as it sure is pretty. Please keep us posted.

Good post. I have been thinking about making a wine or whiskey barrel smoker for some time. I have not started yet so I am looking forward to your finished project and seeing how well it functions.:grin:

This is my first wine barrel smoker build to witness....really nice to see the process....trying to tell myself I don't need one.....don't need one.....don't need one.

Looks cool as hell, I'm kinda thinking like ---k--- though I have only seen electric wooden barrel smokers never a charcoal one, are you going to put a pizza pan or something on the bottom ?

If I tries to use one of those the end result would be a pile of ash and charred metal bits.

I've had my uds get away from me and go over 500 degrees.

Looks cool as hell, I'm kinda thinking like ---k--- though I have only seen electric wooden barrel smokers never a charcoal one, are you going to put a pizza pan or something on the bottom ?

I started this thread with the build of the fire basket. I used a 60 qt. steamer basket that I modified and attached a 16" steel pizza pan to the bottom.

Thanks for looking. As with Daytona, I had a weather delay yesterday, so I should be working on this after work today.

What are you going to use for inlet and exhaust air?

I am glad you asked as a lot of reviewers have questions about the heat and I was getting ready to post on this subject.

I don't plan to cook over 300. Judging by how the airflow and temp control works on my UDS (maintaining 280 with the ball valve full open and all other vents closed), my plan was to drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom front and rear, and use corks to plug the holes. I am going to use a cork to plug the original bung hole as well. I am guessing a half inch hole should be able to maintain around 250 but we will have to see. Worse case scenario I would buy a wine barrel valve for $20 and use that for temp control.

There are many pictures on the web with people using some sort of stack. I am trying for the more natural look so no chrome or painted stacks at this time. I plan on drilling two 1" holes in the middle of the top for ventilation.

After spraying the wood and metal debris out of the barrel this weekend, I discovered I am going to have to drill a hole in the bottom for drainage and use a cork in that as well. I will make that determination after the first cook.

Thanks for watching this thread. Stay tuned, more to come.

Finished Product

Due to weather delays and my job, I finally finished the last Wednesday.

I did a test burn with about a quarter basket of coals. The temps leveled off at about 275 with one of the 1/2" intakes open. Not exactly where I wanted it. I was looking for a little lower temps. I am going to drill a 1/4" hole in the back and see if I can get the temps lower. It burned for about a 4 hours beffore I shut it down. Still had half the original coals.

Here are the picks of the final product. I used cherry stain and spray laquer.

IMG-20120307-00151.jpg
IMG-20120307-00152.jpg

I have a cook coming up for my sons B-day and plan on posting pics of the cook.

That looks great! Where did you get the corks? I have been wanting to build a UDS but I think I will go in this direction as I'm a lot better with wood than metal. Thanks for posting this.

That looks great! Where did you get the corks? I have been wanting to build a UDS but I think I will go in this direction as I'm a lot better with wood than metal. Thanks for posting this.

I built my UDS before I built this WBS. I will contuinue to use the UDS more than the WBS. The WBS is more for decor and conversation. If I were you, build the UDS first then build the WBS.

I can already tell there is going to be a lot of care and maintenance with this WBS. It's going to be critical not to let the wood dry out. Therefore, I plan to fill the WBS with water at least 24 hours prior to each cook. The day after each cook I will have to do a thorough cleaning.

I purchased the corks at www.widgetco.com. They have a wide variety and list the dimensions of the sizes.

Thanks for looking.

Back