• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket or Tri Tip?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking about cooking a brisket tomorrow but with a high of 32, will not be hanging outside drinking beer so am considering cooking my first tri tip.

I have never cooked one, but have heard many people claim they are great.

I guess I am asking if you were going to cook for 4 people, and not cooking for the challenge would you cook a Tri Tip or Brisket.

Also would appreciate some links to good Tri Tip threads.

That depends on how much time and energy I have :-D Both are good and very different. As you know brisket is an investment in time, even if you cook hot and fast, but a tri-tip can be done in as little as 20 -30 minutes.

I season my tri-tip with either Plowboy Bovine Bold or Montreal Steak Seasoning and generally grill it like a steak. If I have a smoker fired up I'll give it some smoke until it hits 115-120 internal and then give it a sear to take it up to 125 - 130.

Tri-Tip with a good Santa Maria seasoning. Purely because this is your first tri-tip cook and you need to know what you've been missing :becky:.

You're going to need at least two tri-tips for four people. I'd recommend 3 so you have a little left over for sammies the next day.

Like Ron said - smoke to 120 degrees then sear over hot coals. I like to take mine to 140 or so and rest for 30 mins. Be careful not to overcook - target medium rare.

Since you've never done Tri-Tip, give it a whirl!

Here's a link to a recent tri-tip cook I did:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120640

I would go indirect, then a final sear just before you pull it. If you like it medium rare, pull it when the internal temp is no higher than 130. Be sure to slice against the grain.

I smoke tri-tip in a 275F-ish offset heat, simple salt, pepper, garlic powder. citrus peel rub, smoke to 125F/130F internal. No reverse sear needed for me.

I smoke tri-tip in a 275F-ish offset heat, simple salt, pepper, garlic powder. citrus peel rub, smoke to 125F/130F internal. No reverse sear needed for me.

Sounds like smoking it like a brisket to me.

I can get brisket cooked and rested (2hours) all in 7 hours, I've never cooked nor seen a tri-tip anywhere around here but from what I've seen and read on here they look fairly easy to prepare in a few hours if that. Tri-tip would be the easiest to cook if you don't want to make a whole day of it.

Thanks guys, if the weather was warmer and less snow would do the brisket but with football going on and going to be too cold to watch outside will do something simpler.

Now its Tri Tip or Ribeye or Prime Rib LOL

Go for the tri-tip. Quicker than brisket leaving more time to sleep in and watch football on Sunday.

I have 2 resting right now in an Asian style marinade... soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic and ginger. Smoke with hickory/cherrry until 120 then to 135 over the coals. Foil for 30 minutes then enjoy!

Go with the Tri-tip. Best beef going IMHO.
As a few said, do not overcook. It is a meat that loves the rest after you cook so undercook at least 5-10 degrees.
For my family we go to about 135 and rest.
At comps for the team, I've stopped at 125 and rested for an amazing rare treat.
Seasoning, keep it simple. Santa Maria is great, Montreal is very similar only courser. Go with your taste.
:thumb:

I have to believe you haven't had a proper tri-tip yet. I'll take TT over brisket ANY day of the week.

Matt

I've had a few choice grade and because of this board went out and bought a dry aged prime tri tip. They are mild tasting, a sirloin tip is better.

Back