Our First Comp Was Saturday

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Once again, thanks for all the advice and comments (both online and offline) from my previous threads and practice photographs. It was greatly appreciated. We had a lot of fun, kept things simple, used tried-and-true products, didn't stray too far out of the box, and best of all, made all of our turn-in times.... as did the other 7 other first time teams. Our best scores were in ribs, but I was pleased with all the scoring. The other competitors were amazing, we were still parking the trailer when the first guys came over to introduce themselves and told us to stop by if we needed help with anything. Aside from the standard pay-outs to teams in the top 10 spots... they also had a calcutta auction but I haven't heard how much money that raised. I do know some teams were bought for $1,000+. Anyways, here are three of our entries, I think my friend that took the lead on pork forgot to photograph his box.

lfGnkrC.jpg

6nXcrqW.jpg

fh0JWFA.jpg

It was good to meet you guys. Thought you had a good cook for the first time out.

The Calcutta raised $9650. Not to shabby.

Chicken: 889,877,777,988,989,989.

Ribs: 988,999,988,989,976, 977

Pork: 877,778,877,777,777,877

Brisket: 877,957,988,989,978,877

Did you get any comment cards for the 5 or 6? If not, that sucks. When I judge, I always try to give a comment card for a 6 or less.

Especially the 5! 7, 8, 8, 7, 7 and then out of the blue a 5! What did that judge taste that was so different than everyone else?

OK, I will go into the deep end...

I keep looking at the brisket and I really don't see 8's for the presentation. What am I missing?

Solid performance! Glad to hear that you are happy with your first contest. There's only one way to go from here. We want to hear that you got a call at the next one.

Back