Small Drum Smoker with Salad Bowl Top Report

BobBill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off, I will admit I could have done without it, using the Weber, as I had in past...I do not smoke a lot of meat etc.

Second. What I did build is fine.

Sits on limestone bricks off ground.

Small drum is 30 gal. It has two racks.

Diffuser (foiled terra cotta flower pot base) sits on old Brinkman grill, but any will do, directly above 10 inch expanded metal fire basket with pizza pan base to remove ash. I tried water, too messy. Seems to work fine, maybe unnecessary, but have not tried it without.

Added expanded metal to grate in fire basket to retain some coals.

Grills are expanded metal with wire circumference.

4 vents, one of which is waist high with ball valve.

Temp is 6 $coot model via Amazon...In lid only, replaced with SS bolt when not used.

Top is large SS salad bowl with stack top center and drain holes around rim.

Stack is from branded smoker, which was gift, has flue. I think I note the brand in another thread.

Runs at constant 225, with two vents open or 250, depending on wind and how big and how along coals are when beginning.

Basket is 10x12 inches, so I fill about .75 with mix of fresh cut apple wood and hot lump and begin with top off, then all vents open, then just two, one with opening into wind, one away. Blue smoke means going fine.

I have only had to reload basket once on windy day doing brisket. PIA but okay.

Nothing is welded, all fitted, including high vent, just pushed together and attached with SS bolts...

Bolts in lid keep it in place and allow it to hang on edge when messing with inside etc.

Some cooks and times approx.

Chicken, cut up, 2.5 hours.

Brats, raw, 2 hours.

Brisket flat cut, 10 hours but depends and could be longer...

Large pork butt for pulled, 4 hours.

I also did Scotch Eggs, in large Jimmy Dean's roll, and were wonderful, about 2 hours.

Ribs, beef and pork, (I do not use oven) 4 hours, depending on foil application.

I alternate the two interior grills, if only one used, with lower to burn off grease or use torch to clean.

No real complaints.

Attachments

• DoneUDS.jpg
    DoneUDS.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg
    Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Issue

I think barrel cooking is a "quality of life" issue.

Especially the 30 gallon barrel.

Cool.

I would love to biuld a mini uds.

Back