Running for BOD against a group ticket?

If your looking for votes maybe you should share your name
Just sayin

Over the past several months I have had a chance to experience a great deal in life. One of those moments occurred days after cooking at KCBS contest at the Cass County Fairgrounds in Weeping Water, Nebraska. On August 25th at age 34 I suffered a massive heart attack that should have killed me right then and there. While in the ICU in a Des Moines, Iowa hospital I had some time to think about the thing I like in life, the things I love in life, and the things I do in life because I feel obligated, and those things that I have just always done.
Of all the things in life that I love including my family, friends, and my church, I realized that barbeque and the barbeque family I have known for the last 12 years ranks right up there and the fact that the family and friends that I love and adore enjoy the barbeque life opened my eyes to becoming a leader on the KCBS board.

I wouldn't wish my unfortunate health issues on anyone but, an eye opener is an eye opener. The fact that my eight year old Carson loves to barbeque as much, if not more than I do made me decide that now is the time to run for the KCBS Board of Directors.

The past and current board members have done a great job in building on many of the points of the KCBS mission statement but I feel that I can be an amazing voice in building on the KCBS mission statement, and I know I can bring personalized knowledge and attention to the teaching and preservation points in the mission statement that are going to be so very critical to the future members of the KCBS like my eight year old son Carson, my barbequing 4 year old nephew Peyton, and my teammate's newborn son Brock.

I believe that through some new efforts that I would like to champion through KCBS that the organization could grow the membership base every year for generations to come. I also believe that the teaching aspect of barbeque is an important facet of maintaining interest in barbeque. Just a few years back NASCAR was the hottest show on earth, growing leaps and bounds and things couldn't have been better. Just a few years later NASCAR has hit the proverbial brick wall and there are empty seats, shortened race seasons, teams disappearing, and drivers going from racing on Sundays to selling used cars Monday through Saturday. I don't want to see anything like what NASCAR has had happen to them happen to KCBS.
The economy can be blamed for a lot of things including the incidental spending by the general public, reduced spending by barbeque teams and contest organizers.
For most competition teams like the one I am a part of, we realize breaking even is a great thing and coming out ahead is even better. We continue to compete because WE LOVE BARBEQUE!
The reason I bring up the socioeconomic conditions is that, if we (barbeque lovers) don't find new and innovative ways to overcome these adversities barbeque as we know it could change for the worse. I believe that my addition to the KCBS Board of Directors would be a great way of attacking these issues proactively instead of waiting for them to happen and then having to react which is also much more stressful and typically very costly.
I also want to address remedial education for current judges, member benefits, and meeting transparency. You can hear about these issues in my announcement video.
Finally, over the next three and a half months I would like to get to know as many KCBS members as possible and would appreciate any, and all of your questions, comments, and KCBS platform ideas and I will respond to each of you in a timely manner. For up to date information and answers to others comments please visit my candidacy Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BJ-Hoffman-for-KCBS-Board-of-Directors/289380814423633
I look forward to getting to know you all better and hope I can earn your votes!

Respectfully,

BJ Hoffman

I will take each candidate as an individual and vote accordingly.
I will NOT be voting for a block and I strongly recommend the same for others.
If you feel strong with what you can contribute, continue your run.

Best of luck.

Thanks a bunch. I think every candidate has something to offer in the improvement of the KCBS BOD. I believe that as a judge that judges and a competitor that is like most competitors I could represent people like me best. An 18' enclosed trailer, homemade bunkbeds, a couple Country Smokers, and love of BBQ is what I am, and who I want to represent.

Thanks a bunch. I think every candidate has something to offer in the improvement of the KCBS BOD. I believe that as a judge that judges and a competitor that is like most competitors I could represent people like me best. An 18' enclosed trailer, homemade bunkbeds, a couple Country Smokers, and love of BBQ is what I am, and who I want to represent.

I don't know you BJ, so I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are presenting the wrong image to potential voters. Quite frankly, it's coming off as whining.

You have a compelling story. You are clearly passionate about BBQ. Stick to that and don't worry about what the other candidates are doing. Yes, four candidates have elected to run as a team. So what? Nothing says that if someone votes for one of them they have to vote for the other three. Quite frankly, I suspect there will be a lot of ticket splitting. But if you focus on negativity and questioning the motives of other candidates, I think you're going to have a hard time developing support.

Erik

I respect your opinion. I guess I was overwhelmed by the fact of group campaigning. I have a great deal to offer to the casual KCBS members, as well as people that compete on a budget, and everyone that LOVES BBQ as much as I do!
Individuals and their ideas will be the way that the future of the KCBS will be driven and differing opinions and ideas will make that drive very interesting.

You keep saying that the 4 candidates have the same views and will have the same good old boy persona. I find that to be totally untrue. I don't know any of these candidates on a personal level but I know them from being on the bbq brethren for WAY TO MANY YEARS. If u go back and read some topics that have been discussed in the past you will see that they do not have similar views all the time but just similar goals. I compete against steve farin and I know him but he has no clue who I am. Which is fine. But to say he follows a crowd is WAY off. Steve doesn't hold back in his comments. He is not affraid to say it like it is. And I have actually scene posts where steve and jeff stith don't agree on things and neither back down but they get there points out there. And I would definitely say they both have deferentt views, but once again all for the same goals. George to me is very level headed, even tho I may be very well off on that lololol. If you look at how he responds to posts its always in a cival way and always trys to understand what the poster is saying before commenting on a topic. I also know that when talking to Poobahs wife once, she made the point that there are very few people who SHE would say that SHE would offer a place in my house to and who care about phil. And she mentioned george as one of those people. I amnot going to mention the other people because it doesn't pertain to this story. IWas one of them YEAH BABY LOLOL. Dave Compton unfortunately I know nothing about but from what I read seems like the right person.
whenu vote for the president of the United States what do you really know about the candidate. Where do u get your info from. The media. Let's be honest. And the views of the candidates are usually scewed to what media is analyzing the candidate. With this forumyou can search on different topics and get a true understanding of the candidate. As of now I will vote for steve, george and jeff. I don't know much about dave yet but will research him. Seems like he is someone who is right for the job.

LOL. Steve Farrin a good 'ole boy for KCBS? No way. These guys are running on a "ticket" because they want to really change the perception that the KCBS Board is a good 'ole boy network operating behind closed doors. I don't think you could find a more open and straighforward group of people.

That said: four people are running on a ticket? So what? If you have something to say, go ahead and run. I just wouldn't jump to conclusions about these guys based on how they are running.

This is pretty simple for those that don't understand the point of Jeff, Steve, Dave, and myself running together. We have many common views about the direction we'd like to see KCBS move. And being far from having membership in the Good Ole Boys Club, we concluded that the four of us working together could more effectively spread that message to the voting membership. Nothing shady, underhanded, or an attempt at a play for power. That being said, we do know each other, and feel that if elected we can work together with each other and others to try to make a positive difference. The four of us were busy with a trip to Lynchburg for the past week to ten days. Now that we are home we will start addressing the issues that we collectively and individually feel are important.

In the future if ANYONE has questions about my motives or character they may feel free to contact me personally. Beyond that I intend to campaign based solely on the issues.

I will take each candidate as an individual and vote accordingly.
I will NOT be voting for a block and I strongly recommend the same for others.
If you feel strong with what you can contribute, continue your run.

Best of luck.

I agree, I will be voting on who I think can do the best job not on a block of candidates.

What an exciting campaign we'll have this year! While it's against some policy somewhere in KCBS, I'm sure, for me to say anything about any of the candidates specificially, I do believe that it's great to see the quality of candidates and the passion for BBQ that is brought by the entire slate!

Please, please all KCBS members -- learn about our candidates, read up on the issues on the ballot (you'll hear of these next month), make educated decisions and VOTE!!!

Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.

Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.
Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.

Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.

That may be true if each voter only has a single vote. As Lake Dogs said though, we all have four votes so running as a group of four is a great idea.

Yeah, with four votes you could vote straight ticket. Other people in this formu and others said the same while others said they prefer to pick individuals. I used to vote in political elections straight ticket until I realized that the (D) or (R) behind the name didn't really mean much compared to the past actions and the current platform.
It will be great to see all of the ideas and platforms come out in the Bull Sheet. I will also love to see who or whos spend the most money!

I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?

Since you asked . . .

Every individual is different, but IF it was me, and I had to ask this question, I wouldn't be running.

In my life, I ask these types of questions, and think them through before committing to anything. If I've done this properly, then there is no reason to reconsider. The actions of others (outside of my family and close friends) have no bearing or effect upon my actions.

Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will then I will", not expecting the others to take the plunge. That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.

Last edited:
Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will than I will". That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.

Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.

Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.
For someone new to this whole forum society I should have known better. It appears that there are experts here that will forget more than I know.
I posted an introduction days ago and there weren't many views and that would explain why most people don't know about me.
It doesn't seem important that I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher.
To me if I heard that about another candidate, I would still want to know
about their BBQ passion and what they can bring to the table in terms of KCBS. I would have no problem using my network to help the KCBS any way I could but that is secondary to remedying other issues.
I want people to know me but if anyone told me about their amazing life experiences that I have shared I would look at them as a showboater and that's not my goal. I am BJ Hoffman, father to an 8 year old that loves bbq, a husband to a woman that supports my hobbys and interests, and someone that wants to better the KCBS through listening to members rather than making statements of what is going to be done. Give me a chance to learn this forum society...

as an outsider to the competitive bbq circuit, i just have to kind of giggle at the thought of a "group of candidates running as a block" against a "good ole boy system".

Back