HOT & FAST Pork Butt~on WEBER PERFORMER

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been fighting with my WSM lately, so we took a break from each other!:p
I wanted to do a "hot and fast cook...on my new Weber Perfomer...
I did my research, thanks JD, Popdaddy, Kickassbbq, Thirdeye...
Seasoned up a couple of big butts, with my own rub, 9lbs each...big for one kettle!
DSCF2092.jpg

I banked the coals w/ hickory and guava wood, w/ 20 lit briquetts
You like my "juice" catcher? Baking pan w/ foil
DSCF2094-1.jpg

Got the Performer up to 370* in no time
DSCF2097-1.jpg

A tight fit, fat cap up!:crazy:
DSCF2095.jpg

This is what it looked like after 3 hrs, internal temp.140*
The bark is cracked because I turned it to get even cooking.
DSCF2098.jpg

I added about 10 briquetts, I had to crack cover for it to get going good.
Would you believe, from the butt area to the top of the cover there was 40 plus degree difference??
45 min later, I added 10 lit briquetts, as temp was going down...
Did these as I was waiting, its been a while since I did ABT's!:-D I did a twist, I rolled it brown sugar, ala~PigCandy ABT's...:cool:
DSCF2100.jpg

I foiled around the 4 hr. mark, internal temp 156*, added 10 more lit coals,
45 min. later, same thing.
Finally, 5 hrs, 40 min., I took it off, internal temp 196*, rested for an hour,
put on ABT's. It seemed like it took forever, only because I was anxious as I put these on at 3:00 pm, due to poor planning... I feel it would have been done a lot sooner with just 1 butt on the Performer, also the butts were pretty big
Butt #1 did the bone wiggle
DSCF2101.jpg

Butt#2
DSCF2103.jpg

Good smoke ring, good flavor,
Could I tell the difference? Only because I cooked it... it could have been a little smokier maybe..
DSCF2102.jpg

It was not dry at all, and with the kettle I could save the drippings, I had 2 cups worth of smokey goodness! Wow, it sure beats my usual 10-12 hrs for pork butts! Will I do it again? Yes! All the time? No way, too much work, I like the set and forget mod.!:p:icon_blush: I hope my WSM forgives me...
I topped it off with, this sauce I got from the last trade w/ Icbateman3
"WELLS" sauce from NC! Good stuff, never had real NC vinegar sauce before..
Thanks Lionel!
DSCF2105.jpg

Oh yeah the Pigcandy ABT's, If you haven't tried them, you gotta! OMG, you first taste sweet, then hot, bacongoodness, cooling cream cheese mixed w/mexican cheese blend. I don't think this pic. does it justice!:clap2:
DSCF2104-2.jpg

Nice cook! I'm not brave enough to try the hot and fast, YET!

The meat texture looks great, and moist. (No foil til the rest, right?) Also, your bark doesn't look very dark. What's the rub?

Man, I've been reading the wrong posts lately to keep putting water in my wsm pan.

Very nice! I've done one hot and fast butt once when I did it along with a brisky. Came out pretty good. If you want more smoke flavor, try running low-n-slow for the first hour or two, then bump up your temps. It seems to help. Looks good!

NICE :thumb:
Thats what I'm doing this weekend!!

My first ever butt was a hot and fast on my 22.5" OTS. It was DEE-Licious! This looks great!

Nice looking job Keale. I like the ABT idea too.

Oh man, you got me starving over here!!! Good idea on the ABT's, I need to try that.

Whats the deal with your WSM??? Those things damn near run themselves.

Thanks for posting Keale! Looks great! I'm going to try that with just one butt on my kettle.

The meat texture looks great, and moist. (No foil til the rest, right?) Also, your bark doesn't look very dark. What's the rub?

Man, I've been reading the wrong posts lately to keep putting water in my wsm pan.

Foiled it at 156* until 196* or so... the rub is a work in progress, I'll let you know when I'm finished...please remind me! :pI think I needed to up the chili powder, paprika, garlic... this has Dark brown sugar in it...

Good idea..

If you want more smoke flavor, try running low-n-slow for the first hour or two, then bump up your temps. It seems to help. Looks good![/QUOTE
Oh man, you got me starving over here!!! Good idea on the ABT's, I need to try that.

Whats the deal with your WSM??? Those things damn near run themselves.

Hey Ryan, I think because the ring is so big, I get el cheapo on the coals, then can't get higher heat ...it works good on the lower temps...
Thanks for posting Keale! Looks great! I'm going to try that with just one butt on my kettle.

You're very welcome and Thanks! The single butt will be a lot quicker!
Looks good from my House....

I had a plate waiting for you Nate!, thanks!

Guys, do the Pigcandy ABT's!! Its sooo... good

From my other post...me clenching my butt cheeks! Daughters first driving lesson!:-D
DSCF2090-1.jpg

I typically use and refill my water pan if I am cooking 250 or less. If I am cooking high heat, I don't use water at all.

Back