Teriyaki Spare Ribs Dry Rub???

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a couple slabs of spares, Farmer John Cryovac, at Smart & Final. I want to make some Teriyaki ribs to take to a buddies on Saturday night. Any advice? Particularly in the rub dept. would be appreciated.

Thanks

If your gonna glaze them with teriyaki, i wouldnt do anything that would add or change or take the flavor away from the teriyaki. Maybe a simple rub with some S&P and brown sugar, and a touch of garlic and/or onion.... optionally a touch of Szechuan Chile powder or cayenne if you want add some spike to them, but stay away from the cumins and paprikas. Spraying with diluted pineapple juice may also work well. The last hours or so I'd start glazing them with the teryaki. Give the teriyakai some body(thicken a little). I would use saucy susan or duck sauce or something along those lines added to the teriyaki to help it glaze and carmelize... Maybe a touch of honey, but that may get to sweet.

Check the asain section at the grocery store. They should have a rub/spice for asian ribs. Should go well with teriyaki.

If you want to really hook these bad boys up check this recipe which doubles as a marinade and then a mop (after you boil the left-over marinade).This is a Paul Kirk recipe from one of his older books.

Polynesian Marinade n' Mop

1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sweet sherry
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup granulated cane sugar or firmly packed brown sugar (I prefer to use brown sugar)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons dry mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne or too taste (I personally do not use the cayenne)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water

Combine all ingredients except for the cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stir to dissolve the spices and sugar. Reduce the heat to medium low. Combine the cornstarch and water. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring the mixture back to a boil and blend in the cornstarch / water mixture, stir until smooth and glossy. Take off heat and let cool.
For chicken and ribs (I like this on the country style ribs) marinate for 4-5 hours or overnight. I reserve the marinade to use as a mop. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. This will make it safe to use as a mop. I start mopping about halfway through my cooking time and mop every ½ to 1 hour or when the smoker is open until done.

I picked up some Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce. I'll go with Phil's simple rub suggestion. That Paul Kirik recipe sounds great. I'll do that next. Maybe with chicken thighs too.

Thanks!

Samichlaus said:
I picked up some Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce. I'll go with Phil's simple rub suggestion. That Paul Kirik recipe sounds great. I'll do that next. Maybe with chicken thighs too.

Thanks!

Yoshida's is a great product. Use it all the time in my marinades and sauces.

Back