Flautas, Cheesy Sopa, and Black Beans, Maribel's Coleslaw......and Salsa.

That is a great looking plate of food. Not sure at all about rectangular tortillas, that is something new to me

I'm

still trying to determine if I'll use those rectangular torts again. Same idea as eggroll wraps, etc. The problem with these is they were too dry. Possibly because they were kinda thin. I tried to heat em up on a hot skillet to make em more pliable, but that just made it drier and the first one I made started to crack as I rolled it.
So, I gave each one a quick dip in the hot oil. Just dropped it in and took it out and let it drain and cool off. That made them pliable.
The other thing I didn't like was that by rolling them the long way didn't give much room for stuffing em with a lot of filling. With the thicker, round tortillas you can really stuff em and have enough area to wrap em and put the toothpick with out em falling apart, etc.
Unless I find a different brand that isn't so dry and hard to work with, I probably won't use em again. The restaurants use those for to make their flauta plates but most times, they use the round ones.

The sopa is just pasta. We buy this brand most times and they have different shapes. My kids love the stuff. I found they love it even more when I put cheese on it!:grin:
http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-la-moderna.html
These were the "gear" shapes or as my kids called em, the "wagon wheels."
Side note, I made some last week and my daughter said, "Dad's sopa is the best cause he puts cheese in it. It's better than Grandma's sopa!" We will keep this secret from Grandma though. :shocked::wink: It's also a quick dish/snack for the kids and you can add stuff like meat and veggies to it.
The Sofrito is what really makes it. Some like their sopa more on the soupier side, I prefer it more on the drier/clumpier side.:mrgreen:

Thanks again!

Bob

The Sofrito is what really makes it.
Bob

Have you ever tried making your own sofrito? It is so much better than the jar you should try it.
Onions, garlic, bell peppers(I prefer a mix of red and green), cilantro all in a food processor. Make a big batch and then freeze for individual portions. When you cook with it you can then add the tomatoes or use tomato sauce. I use it for beans, arroz con gandules, and soups. You will not be dissapointed.

2isw7ix.jpg

NICE!! Love the pics! Aloha Bob! Long time no type! LOL! You would have been proud of me, I made Tamale's! The real way! With Manteca, (sp?) and made a homemade tomatillo sauce for the masa and pulled pork!
They didn't have corn husks, at the local store, so what to do? IMPROVISE of course! I used Banana leaves and Ti leaves from my yard. I read somewhere thats how they do it in South America? I dunno, but it was very tasty! My friends who live in New Mexico, said it would pass as a local Tamale!

Awesome looking cook Bob!

We need to work on getting a care package of some of those ingredients sent to Wisconsin sometime in the spring.

Keep it up!

Damn due, awesome cook ! I'm familiar with the Isabella brand 'round these parts, but never seen those, where do you get them, Big 8? Are the specifically for Flautas, or just regular corn tortillas ? Aye te wacho....

Damn due, awesome cook ! I'm familiar with the Isabella brand 'round these parts, but never seen those, where do you get them, Big 8? Are the specifically for Flautas, or just regular corn tortillas ? Aye te wacho....

I bought em at the Vista Market on Zaragoza. They are made for flautas. They are basically just rectangular tortillas. I was very impressed with em.

Thanks again everyone!

Bob

Absolutely perfect my friend. I can't believe we missed this thread.

Maribel said you did those flautas perfect.

Absolutely perfect my friend. I can't believe we missed this thread.

Maribel said you did those flautas perfect.

Thanks to BOTH of you! :wink:

Bob

PS.........I'm craving aguachiles again!!!!!:mrgreen:

Back