Source for better Ribs

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for good ribs in the New York area. The ribs we have been getting from RD lately are of very poor quality. We buy full spares and cut them to St. Louis style but the full spares have been terrible lately.

We bought a box in July from RD- Terrible had to buy ribs from Diva Q to make up for how bad they were.
For the Maples we picked up Spares from Costco- They were a lot better quality then RD. But again I have had bad Spares from Costco in the past so make sure you open the Cryovac before the contest.

BTW - LOVE THE NEW NAME!!!!

The last pack we bought from RD was terrible, one rack was all shiners, and another one had broken bones in it.

We are looking for a new source in BUffalo too, I've been told BJs is a good option, but haven't tried it yet.

D'Artagnan. Although not on their website they also have good thighs. You just have contact them to order those.

I've had good luck getting nice St Louis @ BJ's. They normally have 2 packs of Swift Premium or Prairie Fresh and a decent price.

Wait. What happened to "Two Fat Polocks"?!? I mean, I appreciate a bad clever pun as much as the next person with the new team name, but still...

Wait. What happened to "Two Fat Polocks"?!? I mean, I appreciate a bad clever pun as much as the next person with the new team name, but still...

I also though the name "Two Fat Polocks" was one cool name. I also thought the logo was equally as good if not better.

I also though the name "Two Fat Polocks" was one cool name. I also thought the logo was equally as good if not better.

I would have gone with "One Fat Polock", but then again I'm trying unsuccessfully to get our team to change their name to "Smoke Up Your Butt" or "Burning Sensation". :becky:

I would have gone with "One Fat Polock", but then again I'm trying unsuccessfully to get our team to change their name to "Smoke Up Your Butt" or "Burning Sensation". :becky:

I think "Burning Sensation" is awesome. :clap2: Still laughing at that one. That could make a really cool logo as well.

Michele would have shot me in my sleep if we kept the Two Fat Polocks team name. She said, "in no way am I one of the two Fat Polocks and I don't want anyone thinking I am". Competition BBQ is Competition BBQ but I am much more interested in staying alive.:icon_smile_tongue:

We were using the IBP Natural Spares from BJs. I don't like the amount of fat. I tried some spares from the butcher, not impressed. I'm trying some spares from Costco tomorrow.

LMAO, never knew that was your old team name.

My friend and I used to DJ as "2 Phat Pollox" here in Buffalo NY.

The last pack we bought from RD was terrible, one rack was all shiners, and another one had broken bones in it.

We are looking for a new source in BUffalo too, I've been told BJs is a good option, but haven't tried it yet.

BJ's in Rochester has been hit or miss for me. The meat always tastes good, but there has been a tough bone between the ribs in that I have had issues cutting through. There have been a few discussions on the forums about it, since the distributor changed from untrimmed, to trimmed St. Louis cut ribs. I definitely get them from there for my personal cooks, but for comps, I actually got mine from Wegmans. I usually order them in advance, and tell them what I need them for, and they pick out a good bunch for me. Keep in mind, that this is my personal experience, and others may have had the opposite too...

Endicott meats in Hunts Point.

Anyone have a source for good ribs in the New York area. The ribs we have been getting from RD lately are of very poor quality. We buy full spares and cut them to St. Louis style but the full spares have been terrible lately.

I bought from RD for this past comp and they were bad too. I've has much better results from Costco

I agree with the RD comments. Bought 2 three packs for a comp and barely had enough to turn in.
Have had luck with Sam's Club lately.

Back