20 whole chickens on a stick burner

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK gang, getting my timing going. I run around 250 on my insulated stick burner. My pork shoulders have been on for a bit... as I've not done whole chicken that often I'm trying to figure out roughly how long you think they will take to cook running @ 250...

Thanks,
Gerry

I usually do mine hotter than that (325-350), so I'm COMPLETELY guessing, but I'd say 3 hours maybe? I know when I've had to do a lot of birds at once that if I have to really pack em in tight they took longer due to lack of heat and smoke between them. You have plenty of room to spread em out?

Whatcha cookin for?

been awhile since I had my offset, but I did lots of chicken and I figured about 4 hours @225. So 3-3.5 would be my guess, maybe pushing 4 with a pretty loaded pit

I am with Wampus.. I run my whole chickens a lot hotter. At 250 IMO you're easily pushing towards the 4 hour mark

I did 10 whole 3-3.25 lbs birds last weekend at 275. I pulled them at 3 hours and they were perfect.

ETA: I should probably note that mine were actually split into halves so that may have an impact on cook time.

Last edited:
agree with heel ...if you can roll em at 275. 3 hours will take care of a normal 3 1/2 to 4 lb bird. At 250 add an extra 30 to 45 minutes but I will caution you the skin will come out pretty rubbery but the meat will be great. if you got some of those 6 lb heavy injected with nitrates turkey sized chickens could take as long as 5 hours.

Cook went great! We average 350ish ... wind was a bit much in Texas Saturday so there were a few points where it hit as high as 375. Originally were were going to do 20 chickens but that number dropped to 16. 4 of the chickens they provided were questionable, they had got them from a different store and had a funky smell. Meat date was OK but the smell just bugged me, so they came and got those 4 and took them back for a refund.

Over all was a great cook ... just over 2-2.5 hours.

Back