Some hearty little breads to munch on while BBQ-ing ?

GARNAAL

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
here you go folks..
I make 3 different kinds..
Indo sausage,
Cheddar Sausage,
or BEER & Brats sausage...

the bread dough is the same but the fillings are different..
you can bake them in the oven or on the Q..

HPIM6087r.JPG

Oldjinks's Indo Sausage breads

Breaddough; ( this recipe makes ~ 14 of them )
250 grams all purpose flour
6 g salt
70 g butter, molten & handwarm.
10 g white sugar
13 g fresh yeast or 1 sachet dry instant yeast (Fleischmann)
125 g milk, handwarm

Sausage filling:
1 lbs Jimmy Dean fresh sausage (Sage)
2 Tblsp breadcrums
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Sambal Oelek (or more to taste)
1 Tblsp Ketjap Manis
1 medium size onion chopped very fine and browned in little butter or oil.
1 package Conimex Nasi Goreng kruiden mix (dissolved in 3/4 cup warm water)

(or 1 package Bamboe Nasi Goreng spice- no need to dissolve..)

Extra
Butter to grease baking sheet
1 egg beaten loose to brush the dough..

Dough:
Sprinkle the salt on the flour.
Melt the butter to handwarm and let cool a bit.
Heat the milk to handwarm and mix with the sugar (let cool a bit if too hot - or you will kill the yeast !!).
Add the yeast to the milk mixture and mix to smooth and let it sit until it foams and increases in volume.
Mix this well with the flour, then add the cooled off butter and kneed at least 7 minutes (stand #1 op de Kitchen Aid standup mixer with doughook) to a smooth elastic dough. Cut in pieces of ~ 30 gram - this recipe makes ~ 14 little breads ..
Roll them into little round balls and let them rise under plastic foil for ~ 30 minutes at room temp.

Sausage filling:
Soak Conimex Nasi Goreng mix in 3/4 cup handwarm water.
Mix the Sausage with the egg, onion, ketjap and breadcrums.
Spice with pepper and salt and 1 tsp Sambal Oelek (or more to taste).
Now mix in the soaked Conimex Nasi Goreng mix (or the contents of the Bamboe Nasi Goreng package).
After mixing real well divide in ~ 14 portions. And roll into sausage shapes.
---------------------------------

Whip the egg loose..
Roll a doughball into ~ 6 inch long x 4 inch oval shape.
Brush 1 long side of the oval sheet of dough and place a sausage in the middle of it.
Fold the short sides of the dough over the ends of the sausage and then fold the long sides so they overlap a little bit -
the dry side on top of the side brushed with egg and push a little to glue & close them.
Place the little breads on a buttered baking dish - seam down - leave space in between them to rise.
Now let them rise another ~45 minutes at room temp, covered with plastic wrap.
HPIM6080r.JPG

Heat the oven or BBQ to 200 ºC. ( = ~400 F ) Brush the little breads with a loose whipped egg and bake until gold brown for ~ 30 minutes.

HPIM6082r.JPG

---------------------------------
the alternate Sausage fillings instead of the Indo mix filling.
mix:
1 pkg Johnsonville Cheddar Brats (~ 19 oz.) taken out of the skins
2 Tblsp breadcrums
1 egg

or mix

1 pkg Johnsonville Beer & Brats sausages(~ 19 oz.) taken out of the skins
2 Tblsp breacrums
1 egg

Last edited:
They look almost like sausage rolls from Australia, a favorite of mine. Nice.

I've seen something similar in bakeries in Wyoming and North Dakota. They would make them in the morning along with the donuts so you could buy them for lunch.

For the life of me I can't recall the name... maybe started with a "kr", and most likely had a German, Russian or maybe even Polish roots.

Cut one open, and post a pic! They look fantastic! :thumb:

sorry folks - they're all gone...

they did not last long enough to slice one and take a picture of the inside.. :becky:
anyway - the inside just looks like round sausage/meatloaf wrapped in a thin bread layer..
next time I make some breads, I'll post a reply to this thread with a picture of it..

These little Sausage breads are made based on little "Worstebroodjes" ; bakers make in Brabant - a province in the southern part of Holland.

The fillings there are normally are made out of a mix of ground beef and pork with spices, egg and breadcrums..

I fiddled around with the fillings a bit to make three different tasting munchies ... :icon_blush:

I've seen something similar in bakeries in Wyoming and North Dakota. They would make them in the morning along with the donuts so you could buy them for lunch.

For the life of me I can't recall the name... maybe started with a "kr", and most likely had a German, Russian or maybe even Polish roots.

Maybe you are thinking of Kolache? I've had some of the best kolaches in central Texas. The czech's and germans know exactly what they are doing! Outstanding!

Itail sausage works great too. Wrap them in pretzel dough. Nice Job!!!

I've had something very similar to these before that were sold under the name of Bierocks. After doing a little web search on them, it looks like they're a fairly common thing in eastern Europe. Good stuff!

Back