Wagyu Brisket - 1st time - PR0N

wmrrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought a 13 lb Wagyu brisket from huntspoint.com and put it on my Big Green Egg last night at 1:00 a.m. at 250 degrees over cherry wood. This was perhaps the most beautiful piece of brisket with the most fantastic marbling I have ever seen. Its now 8 hours later and the temp is 190 and should reach the magical 203 mark sometime in the next 2 hours. I was expecting a 14 hour smoke and this will be done in just about 10 hours. This is my first Wagyu brisket and if this is any indication of how others will smoke, I will be buying more of them in the future.

Attachments

• Wagyu Brisket.jpg
    Wagyu Brisket.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 651
  • Wagyu Brisket on BGE.jpg
    Wagyu Brisket on BGE.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 651
Ive always wanted to try one, just never pulled the trigger myself......sounds like you are right on track with yours!

Looking good!

Why 203? I cook brisket until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. That can happen at any internal temp.

Yeah seriously probe tender is best everything else is cooked to a certain temp but trust me it makes a huge difference I use to despise brisket then
I got it right once ever last week and it is fantastic. So just go against what you normally do. Probe tender not internal temp

Wagyu brisket as a rule cooks faster. I am surprised that it has taken as long as it has. I've had a 16lb wagyu cook in as little as 6 hours before at 225*.

It has been my experience to determine doneness at a temperature instead of using the probe test. Once a wagyu gets to around 190-195* it is very tender and hard to determine if it is done enough. I once cooked one that was at 198* and felt done via the probe test. Once I sliced it...it wasn't. With my cooker, 203-205* seems to be the magic number.

Looking good!

Why 203? I cook brisket until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. That can happen at any internal temp.
203 is a temperature I always use. It is my magic number and it always come out perfect.

DONE - 9 hours 40 minutes at 250 over a mix of Wicked Good lump charcoal and cherry wood. The rub is only kosher salt and coarse pepper. I bought this brisket from huntspoint.com

Attachments

• Wagyu done.jpg
    Wagyu done.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 589
Nice, wagyu is very rich in fat/flavor, i enjoy my Wagyu tri tip. Lets see those pictures

I'm hangin' my head in shame. My wife decided she wanted a ginger glazed spiral cut ham for Easter, so............not even a hint of smoke. Sigh.

Grillin' a mess of HnF chicken thighs for dinner tonight - cherry wood for smoke.

I have always found that when cooking waygu brisket because of their marbling they do cook faster than normal briskets. Great looking piece of meat !

Back