View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #68
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
I simply cannot accept the "that's how it is in KCBS" argument. While there are certainly hard and fast criteria, I'm pretty sure I have never read where everything needs to be extremely sweet and only satisfying for a single taste. If I want that, I can go to the store and buy a chocolate bar. For change to happen, folks (judges and cooks) need to speak up and force change (or move to other organizations). Maybe the current flavor profile is really the preference and nothing will change, but just continuing the status quo makes no sense to me.
I think trends are changing. I can't speak for everywhere in the country, but I would not classify our food as sweet. If anything I like more bold flavors in our food and it has been working and judges seem to want something different. Granted this is more of a topic for the comp sections, but I think the stereotype is overly perpetuated from what folks see on tv and hear through discussions such as this one.

The words of "candy BBQ" simply get repeated by those outside of the competition world because of what they see on pitmasters so the steroetype stays true when is might not actually be that way. And I don't mean that some cliche wannabe, sitting behind my computer chest beating "you don't know comps if you don't cook in them" kind of way. I genuinely dislike the backyard vs comp mentality because it is isn't good for furthering the bbq community. I also dislike the stereotype of the backyard guy who is "too cool for school" and would never cook a comp. I don't think lassoing people into that description is good either.

But really that is a discussion for another thread.

Thanks from:--->