It's a good day for baby-backs.

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I haven't done ribs in a while. I wasted about 10 minutes messing with one rack out of a package of three that already had the silver skin removed. Trying to remove something that isn't there is very frustrating if you didn't already know.

They're on the grill and getting some hickory smoke.

View attachment 128691

Last edited:
I think the employees at the packing plant do that on purpose. Sick twisted kicks they get outta fooling another one. Had one a couple weeks ago the same way, one outta the three was already removed.

I think the employees at the packing plant do that on purpose. Sick twisted kicks they get outta fooling another one. Had one a couple weeks ago the same way, one outta the three was already removed.

I worked in a packing plant for a short time years ago. I don't think I would have done one second's worth of extra work just to mess with someone down the road! Then again, never underestimate the dedication of some people.

Most days are good for some backs. Those have a real good start to being real good.

Always a good day for B-backs and these are looking great.

I haven't done ribs in a while. I wasted about 10 minutes messing with one rack out of a package of three that already had the silver skin removed. Trying to remove something that isn't there is very frustrating if you didn't already know.

Was it the one in the bottom of the pack which you could visually see through the cryo, do you recall?

I buy my baby backs at Costco. They are Swifts Premium, 3 to a Cryovac and all of them have the membrane removed. They've been doing this for several years. And, Swifts leaves a good amount of the loin meat on the ribs.

BTW, any day is a good day for ribs, Joe

My very first BB ribs had the silver skin removed already. I had no idea what that would have looked like. All I had to go on was youtube videos. So I wasted the better part of an hour digging with my knife for something that wasn't there. Very frustrating. Kind of like figuring out what probe tender feels like for your first brisket.

Was it the one in the bottom of the pack which you could visually see through the cryo, do you recall?

It might have been. It was the middle rack when I was working on it but I had already rinsed them. Your theory makes sense though.

The ribs were delicious!

With that being said, they were also some of the most overcooked ribs I've ever done in my life. I've never had pulled-pork ribs, but I think I just invented them.

Long for baby backs. 4 hours is plenty even at 250.....I did 5 racks of full spares today trimmed up to St. Louis style and cooked for 6 hours total. 4 unwrapped, 1.5 wrapped and 30 minutes finishing. 225degs. with mostly pecan wood and a few sticks of oak. They came out awesome.

Back