Venison hindquarter

model 1

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I've got a fresh hind quarter to put on the uds. Any ideas on rub, no rub, marinate?Cook to 140 and slice or higher and wrap and pull. Let's have some ideas.

I've got a fresh hind quarter to put on the uds. Any ideas on rub, no rub, marinate?Cook to 140 and slice or higher and wrap and pull. Let's have some ideas.

You may want to stick closer to 130.

I've never smoked deer before. However, I have cooked it numerous times.
I would rub with salt, pepper, & granulated garlic.
I think the key to great deer is allowing it to get to 60 IT or so before you cook.

Once you're done, use a Cumberland sauce or some other berry/cherry or port/red wine based sauce.

I do them all the time and am in the corner of pulling the meat. I treat it like a brisket as far as seasoning goes. When I smoke a hind quarter i lay thick cut bacon on top, no need to be neet, just get some fat on top. once the color looks good I place it in a large pan, sauce it (brisket friendly sauce like head country or similar) and seal the top with foil and let it braise. Keep it on the pit until you can reach in and pull the leg bone out. Once it cools a bit try and pull/pick out the tendons and then shred and mix with the sauce/juices. I know, I know, braising is called cheating by some. But I'm an opportunist and if there is a way to keep a lean hunk of meat moist and still get the smokiness that's what I'm going to do. Good luck. Also, I can any leftovers- its great with egg noodles.

Back