View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I got me a slab of pork bellie and I have pink salt in the cupboard but all of my research shows using Morton's Tenderquick, which I do not have. Can pink salt be used to cure bacon? If so, what is the ratio of salt to a pound of bellie? Additionally, does anyone wet cure their slabs? Feel free to share any recipes you might know of. Thanks Brethren.
I did not read all of the other posts, but your concern should be that your "Pink Salt" is a curing salt containing sodium nitrite. It is usually called "cure 1" "Instacure 1" ect. Cure #1 and cure #2 are NOT interchangeable...

If your pink salt is something like Himalayan Pink Salt or Hawaiian Pink Salt, these are not curing salts....

Cures should be stored safely out of the reach of children. This is particularly true with cure #1 & #2. The pink candy like color is attractive to children.

All cures should be kept in their original container, and away from ingredients such as salt and sugar that they could be mistaken for and accidentally used.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->