Cookin Myron Mixon's Pork Shoulder

B

bo_gator

I am going to make Myron Mixon's pork shoulder from his Smokin book this weekend. I have the injection, Vinegar sauce, and rub made, and am planning on making the glaze after putting the pig to the heat.

What is the overall opinion of this combination for making BBQ, I think the sauce, injection, and rub all tasted pretty good by themselves,so lets hear about what you thought :boxing:

Good luck! I have read his book also. Trying to learn as much as I can. I did his apple/bacon stuffed chicken breasts. Pretty easy and family loved it.
IMAG0742.jpg

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread. Good luck and post up your results.

I agree on the salt issue. My copy of the book (V3.1 R2) shows 2 cups of salt in the hog injection which I think is a little much in 5 quarts of liquid. The book has some good recipes, but I use them as building blocks to create my own style at times.

You have to use some common sense and your own taste when using MM's book. I like his rub recipe. His comp brisket and pork butt recipe differs slightly from the recipe in his book. But, either way, use your own sense of taste with them. I have a later version of his book and many of the salt issues have been addressed in it. But, I still use my own taste when following his recipes.

Good luck!

For MM's brisket, think Arby's roast beef.

I didn't post that, BTW.

Where did you see the version #? Anyone have a "revised" edition with the "right" salt content. I've got the book that shows 2 cups salt in the hog injection. Never tried it, but probably will sometime for butts.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

My version of the book shows 2 cups salt in it as well. I've made it several times and never noticed the pork ending up too salty.

I made his recipe a few times...I adjusted after the first time...too much onion powder and pepper in the rub for me. I made the glaze once...it wasn't bad just didn't seem to need it flavor wise...for a comp I could see where it would make sense though.

You have to use some common sense and your own taste when using MM's book. I like his rub recipe. His comp brisket and pork butt recipe differs slightly from the recipe in his book. But, either way, use your own sense of taste with them. I have a later version of his book and many of the salt issues have been addressed in it. But, I still use my own taste when following his recipes.

Good luck!

How much salt does the hog injection call for in the book you have?

I have his book and have tried a few of his recipes. The vinegar sauce was a bit much for me. I use his recipes and add my spin to them for the most part.

My book of his copy write 2011 calls for 2 cups. Is this an old book? Just got it from him a month ago

I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?

Good luck! I have read his book also. Trying to learn as much as I can. I did his apple/bacon stuffed chicken breasts. Pretty easy and family loved it.
IMAG0742.jpg

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread. Good luck and post up your results.

That looks great !

I ordered a copy of his book and am patiently awaiting its arrival. Also trying some of his Jack's Old South sauces.

I'll make that apple-bacon chicken for sure!

I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?

Neither I, nor most of the guys I grill with inject butts. A good rub that barks well....pull it and then hit it lightly with vinegar hot sauce before serving.

Back