A few UDS questions - metal work related

I just made a basket with two pieces of 12x24 from home depot. As someone else said, it is by the aluminum bars and angle iron. Lowes had it in the same place. I'll bet your local home depot had it, despite what you were told. I was told Lowes didn't have it, which is why I had to go to home depot. Next time I was at Lowes, I saw it. I just wired the two pieces together and then wired the (somewhat) rounded sheets to the charcoal grate from my 22.5 kettle. It took about 25 minutes.

DSC00262a.jpg

Try calling your local steel center or steel recyclers and ask about expended metal "drops". When another customer has them cut a full sheet, but doesn't buy a full sheet, they pass most of the expense to him.... and if the drops of expando are large enough they set them in a separate bin for small projects like yours. A steel center will have a bigger selection than a big box store. I believe my expando is #9 flat. The diamond is about 3/4".

They should let you snoop through the bin and pick the pieces you want. Expando comes in two profiles, flat and raised. Raised is more rigid and works for cooking grates, flat will roll easier. just make sure and pay attention to the direction of the diamonds when you select your pieces.

I just made a basket with two pieces of 12x24 from home depot. As someone else said, it is by the aluminum bars and angle iron. Lowes had it in the same place. I'll bet your local home depot had it, despite what you were told. I was told Lowes didn't have it, which is why I had to go to home depot. Next time I was at Lowes, I saw it. I just wired the two pieces together and then wired the (somewhat) rounded sheets to the charcoal grate from my 22.5 kettle. It took about 25 minutes.

I just brought a 3/4 24x24 from HD tonight which I will cut into 2 12x24 peices and bolting them together.

i bought from a welding shop #9 flat 3/4 12" x 48" expanded $16.00 cut. rolled it my self at work in a pinch roller...

Back