• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What type chuck roast do you all use?

billm

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Never have cooked chuck roast on the smoker and wanted to give it a try after reading several threads on it. What type do you all use? All ive seen are the ones in the styro tray at Sams for pot roast but they are nowhere near the 7-8 pound range im reading about in past threads.

DSC04415a.jpg

For the best value, I buy a boneless chuck roll (about 20 pounds) then cut my own roasts. Usually I can get three nice chuckies from a roll.

DSC04418b.jpg

If you have to buy from the counter, go for thickness first. I think the bone does add some flavor, but I still put thickness first.​

dsc02328aL.jpg

DSC04415a.jpg

For the best value, I buy a boneless chuck roll (about 20 pounds) then cut my own roasts. Usually I can get three nice chuckies from a roll.

DSC04418b.jpg

If you have to buy from the counter, go for thickness first. I think the bone does add some flavor, but I still put thickness first.​

dsc02328aL.jpg
Thanks! The cook to about 200 or so for shredding correct?

that wasnt what I asked..I asked what cut is normally used..not where to get it..

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your question. "What type chuck roast do you all use?" What do you mean by "type"?

As far as I know there is only one type of chuck roast.

Then you mentioned something about the only ones you have seen were at Sams and no where near 7-8lbs.

So I answered this question.

Just trying to help.

Nate

Two schools of thought here....a foil finish will insure a moist and shredable product. Cook to 150°ish, foil with some broth & butter and cook 'till tender. Instead of a foil pouch, I use an aluminum pan, Dutch oven or a roaster, braising with some liquid until it's tender.

Cooking without foil can yield a sliceable product, and the finish temp is 180's-190's.

These two (on the left) are cooking in my BDS along with a brisket flat and two pastrami. These were served sliced.

DSC05289JPGc.jpg

This one was seasoned with salt, pepper & cayenne and finished in an oven pan.

DSC04350g.jpg

Here is a pepper beef dish I make with chuckies, I finished this in a roaster. Recipe is on my cookin' site.

DSC06143JPGa.jpg

Every roll is different. 195-200 is a good guideline. I typically cook them like brisket. I let them tell me when they are done by sticking my probe in them.

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your question. "What type chuck roast do you all use?" What do you mean by "type"?

As far as I know there is only one type of chuck roast.

Then you mentioned something about the only ones you have seen were at Sams and no where near 7-8lbs.

So I answered this question.

Just trying to help.

Nate
actually looking at a meat chart there are 5 types or "cuts" of chuck..i should have used the word cut ..sorry

thanks guys...ill try foiling..
Have your butcher cut you a chuck roll. The diff. types of chuck is chuck moch tender, chuck shoulder clod, bone in chuck(7-bone), and chuck roll (is the best for smoking). Stay away from Walmart since they get their meat products already cut.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill... I buy my Chuscks at Fresh Market (Geneva is the closest to me). They normally have them in larger sizes. If all you can get are smaller ones they work, but I would definately foil them with some liquid. I seem to remember a Good Eats where Alton Brown recommended a 7 bone chuck as the best cut.

Bill... I buy my Chuscks at Fresh Market (Geneva is the closest to me). They normally have them in larger sizes. If all you can get are smaller ones they work, but I would definately foil them with some liquid. I seem to remember a Good Eats where Alton Brown recommended a 7 bone chuck as the best cut.

Ron - 7 bone was all i could find at Sams. Im sure I can get a larger one if I ask as the butchers there are really accomodating. I just didnt know what to get so I went with what they had in the case.
Just looking to try something different since ive never cooked one execpet for pot roast
I dont beleive Ive heard of Fresh Market though..thats not Caputo's Fresh Markets is it?

Ron - 7 bone was all i could find at Sams. Im sure I can get a larger one if I ask as the butchers there are really accomodating. I just didnt know what to get so I went with what they had in the case.
Just looking to try something different since ive never cooked one execpet for pot roast
I dont beleive Ive heard of Fresh Market though..thats not Caputo's Fresh Markets is it?

If your Sams is like mine, the chuck rolls are never in the front case. They live in the walk-in as most of them are sold to restaurants (and guys like me :mrgreen:)

No, not Caputo's, although I shop there once in a while. The Fresh Market is a separate store...

http://www.freshmarket.com/

It looks like Geneva would be the closest to you, and that's not really close :rolleyes: They aren't cheap, but they have great meat. Their aged Hereford steaks are fantastic.

If your Sams is like mine, the chuck rolls are never in the front case. They live in the walk-in as most of them are sold to restaurants (and guys like me :mrgreen:)
im sure thats the case..they usally keep spares as well as pork butts in back at mine..ill check next time..in the meatime i throw these small ones on this weekend while im cooking up butts

No, not Caputo's, although I shop there once in a while. The Fresh Market is a separate store...

http://www.freshmarket.com/

It looks like Geneva would be the closest to you, and that's not really close :rolleyes: They aren't cheap, but they have great meat. Their aged Hereford steaks are fantastic.

ok ..yea Geneva is too far but I got plenty of similar type places closer to me

Back