Taking the plunge

CrimsonSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
CrimsonSmoke has officially entered our 1st contest. It is close to home about 20 minute drive and seems like it may be small. [SIZE=-1]The Best Buckin BBQ Cookoff is scheduled for April 25-26, 2008 in Athens, AL. This is the first year they have had pro & backyard. I wimped and signed up for backyard. They are chicken, ribs and people choice Boston butt. The link below to check it out.
http://www.bestbuckinbbq.org/

Be ready for plenty of questions and pics of practice boxes for your thoughts.

Will keep you update on the progress. Already getting nervous.
[/SIZE]

I think most of us were nervous our first time prior to the event then after getting there, no real reason to be nervous. Just have fun with it.

Congrat's!!
That's what were here for.......
The most important thing is to have FUN!! :wink:

Good luck CS - looking forward to seeing how you do!

you will be suprised at how many great people you meet there..You will probably meet a bunch of the local Bretheren as well..Enjoy!!

good luck on your first time out!
Whats different in the backyard thing other than not having to cook brisket?
Turn ins times and rules different too?

Way to go and get in there. We did our first last september, nervous, excited and clueless :-D Make a list and like Santa check it twice, you will forget something, but don't forget the beer.

It was a big event here in AZ with 35 teams. One was showing the RCG trophy from that years Jack, I did not feel inferior :shock:

Our team is me, the wife and our boys. There were a few problems, but we made it through and we were fortunate to get a call in Ribs (8th) and 5th in Anthing Butt. The wife was hooked and off we go. Relax, enjoy and you really will meet some good people.

Relax and have fun. It's nice to have a simple goal not being DAL. First time out just surviving can be a challenge. It's a lot more work than you think. Pace yourself and like I said have fun but don't drink too much. Trust me on that one.

Ford gave you the best advice you can get. Dont be like me and start drinking as soon as you arrive. I cant seem to learn that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a practice run or two before the event. Pack your stuff just like you were heading to the comp site and then set it up and cook as if you were miles from home. That way you will figure out what you forgot to pack while you still have time to correct your list :-D

Good luck to you brother, it is goingto be a blast. Keep in mind most of the cooks out there will help you anyway they can and the reps will help as much as they can. Let the reps know this is your first contest, they may be able to find you a mentor team.
Most important thing to remember is to have fun, and like Ford said set your goals at not being DAL. That was our goal at our first contest and we got a 3rd place in chicken. That still is our gaol and before we pull out of our driveway for any contest that is what we promise each other with a high five.

Bring on the sample boxes!!!

Congratulations! We were very nervous our first time out, but BBQ Council and Smokey Joel were really nice to us and we had a great time. We only entered half a contest on our first try (chicken and pork). Didn't get a call, but finished 11th in chicken and we were hooked.

Ford was right about the drinking. Pace yourself or you might regret it. In our first contest, our goal was no DQ. In our second contest, I wanted to finish in the top half. We accomplished both goals and got two call on our second contest. :biggrin:

Have fun and make some new friends.

Yeah! Just relax and have fun! I did the same thing, I signed up for a class/backyard comp. and took a lot of good natured razzing from the Big Boys! But I was not that confident, so my goal was to not finish last, win the "Friendliest Booth" award and have a good time. My son and I came in 2nd overall, 1st Place chicken and the Booth award. (Fatties will do it every time) I got to share what little I knew and help out some new folks and I had a BLAST! After that I was stoked! Hope you catch the bug Too!

Back