Does size matter?

Mad About Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
perves..... of course i'm talking about Comp Trailers... Whats too big of a trailer? old mans got a 24' enclosed trailer that i'm about to swipe from him. what are most folks building out? if 24' is too long...keep in mind it's free.. before I start building...

Keep in mind that the base comp spaces are usually 20x20 or 20x30 with larger spaces at extra cost... But for a free trailer, I'd go for it.

Besides the site costs, take a look at the trailer weight and your tow vehicle. You may need a brake controller depending on the weight and your state's regulations.

The other factor besides the length is the width. We had a 6' wide trailer and it was sometimes tough for two people to move around inside.

It's free. Take it. Then once you have it, think about it, and if you decide it is too big, trade it to someone who wants a larger trailer.

24' is a big trailer, be sure you can legally tow it. Tow weight is based on the RATING of the trailer, not what you have IN it. You need a pretty beefy truck for that.

I've got a f150. We tow a 6200# camper plus junk pretty easily. I was thinking about seeing what CL had to offer. I was think 18-20 max. But free trumps a few bucks now and then for larger site fee

a free trailer might cost you a $30,000 truck.. I agree with Ron L... check all the factors, or the trailer isn't very free or useful to you.

we have 24' we take to some comps where we know we have enough room, they are LONG to get in and out of most comps around here, so we pull a 18'.

One thing to keep in mind for length is whether or not you can fit it and whatever else you need in to a typical standard spot. Around here, most standard spots are 20x30'. Many charge extra for a larger spot and those extra cost can add up over time.

That being said, our trailer is 20' with 3' of v-nose on the front. It works perfect for our needs, but everyone is different.

that's a big trailer, and getting it into spots at a contest will be a pain. 24 box is probably 28 overall, if the comps in a tight area, and you're late, it's going to suck. we used a 20x8 dual axle, and i wouldn't trailer it with less than a 2500 truck. Add in cookers, coolers, ice, meat, everything you're going to put in it, adds up quick. Check the empty weight of the trailer

One of the hidden cost of a trailer is the storage fee if it won't fit in your driveway. I have an 18 foot toyhauler and it does fit but is a pain in the a$$ to get in because of tight quarters so I store it in a lot as I can't park it on the street due to city codes. Have not had an issue with it at comps. Tow it with a Tundra with no issues.

well, I've got a place to stash it, a brake controller, and a descent truck. empty trailer with the factory .001 inch paneling is 3400 lbs. smokers are just over 500 each.. looking at 1 side with cabinets/sink/shelves. the other will just be counter and fridge. figure that's another 1000-1200lb. add in some framing and paneling, make that 2000-2200 lbs total. i'm still under 6k, before bedding. i'm good with our truck with the tow package up to 7500ish.

but still thinking about trying to find a 18-20 footer on CL to swap for. we'll see.. hell, if I can tow my 30 foot camper with all it's junk with our truck, the bbq trailer shouldn't be any worse.. thanks all..

Back