• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whiskey Barrel Smoker Question

ChetPunisher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I did the searches and I have read a lot. I decided to try my hand on making a UDS with an old whiskey barrel. They only thing I am at a loss for is how to secure the bands to the wood. Do I predrill the bands and then use screws or can I use self tapping steel screws? I already have the said barrel. I will be posting pics of the build.

Chet

If you are using an oak barrel, I would drill the holes in the bands and then drill pilot holes for the screws into the wood, that way you won't split the slats. Just make sure you pilot holes are smaller than the screws you are using.

Don't forget to do a good burnout with some dry pallet wood.

It's already been charred, it was a used whiskey barrel. Do I still need to do another burn out?

I was attempting to make a joke. I guess my attempt failed.

Make sure you post pics. I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I'm thinking it's gonna look really cool.

I was attempting to make a joke. I guess my attempt failed.

Make sure you post pics. I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I'm thinking it's gonna look really cool.

We have smilies for sarcasm. :blah:

self tapping screws work just fine at least they did with wine barrels. I was actualy going to do this same thing but couldnt figure out how to make the staves not shrink with the heat. What did you come up with?

I am just getting ready for the build. Before I cut the barrel I need to screw the staves to hold it together. I'm not sure about wine barrels, but whiskey barrels do a burn out and the inside is charred, so I don't know if I will experience shrinkage...

same thing with wine barrells they are all charred the shrinkage come from the heat of the fire drying out the staves over time. You end up with gaps between the staves and after awhile it starts falling apart.

The stainless steel metal self tapping screws I found at 75¢ each. They didn't have a box of 100 or 500 at the hardware store I went to. Do I not need stainless or metal?

You should PM Brother NU2QN. He did a wooden barrel smoker, and it turned out really nice. He gave me some good advice, and is a really nice guy.

Matt

Back