• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Please help me choose

I own both and KJ is every bit as good as BGE in all but dealer network. Given the savings you are looking at the KJ would be a no-brainer for me.

Do be aware that those recommending a Weber over Primo, KJ or BGE very rarely have any experience using ceramic cookers.

I have a Weber performer - not close to the same league in terms of temp control and using briquettes blows.

KJandMBGE.jpg

I beg to differ... there are many here who have ceramic, insulated, Weber, and offset cookers... for mastery of the bbq craft. Hence the name pitmasters... its not just mastery of one pit; but mastery of several styles of pits. That is why we say 'It's the cook (skill), not the cooker.'

OTOH: There are several less expensive options which you have already noticed and have been well-reviewed here.

Last edited:
How much are you going to use the cooker you choose? As you can see from my signature, I own quite a few different cooking utensils. I have used them all with great success. If you are just learning to smoke I would go with the Akorn to start. This will give you an idea if you want to continue. Most people start with low cost equipment. If you continue with this hobby, you may want a bigger smoker than an BGE or KJ. I have an Akorn, and am using it at the restaurant. I cooked a brisket over night and it came out great. Then I turned around later that night and cooked a couple pizzas for our Christmas party. I was looking at a ceramic grill for the restaurant, but went with the Akorn because of the features on it. The best feature is the clean out, you remove the bottom and dump it. All the seals are just like the material used on oven doors. I may buy a couple more to get me through the winter. I am honestly surprised by the quality of the Akorn. I was expecting some on the order of their offset grills and smokers. This is constructed of better material and easy to assemble. This is just my opinion.

Back