Next: Smoked Goose [w/ pre-pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I got a fresh all natural supposedly quite lean goose with a weight of 7.85 lbs for smoking in my WSM this Friday:

01_goose_7_85_lbs.jpg

I just removed the backbone, breastbone and some excessive fat, and saved the backbone, fat and some organs that came with the bird (liver, neck and some other which I could not identify) for whatever my wife is going to do with it:

02_removed_parts.jpg

This time I did not separate in halves, but left it spatchcocked:

03_goose_spatchcocked.jpg

04_goose_spatchcocked.jpg

And off it went into the brine:

05_goose_in_brine.jpg

The plan is to rub with salt, black pepper and brown sugar, puncture the skin and put a large enameled casserole on the lower grate of my WSM to capture all the liquids. Then smoke at 350+°F till IT 165°F in the breast without additional smoking wood (just using my Natural Lemon Tree Lump Charcoal, which worked out very well with my first ever turkey).

Now I have some questions for you:

• Would you try to get rub under the skin, or apply just on the outside with or without some EVO?
  • Ever tried fries made in goose fat?
  • What else can be done with goose fat?
  • Any thoughts else on smoking that goose?
I am very excited, but I better don't mess it up, because that bird came at a cost of around $60 :shock:

Did they feed the goose gold shavings? Wow I had no idea goose was so expensive. I think you are on the right path. I try to get rub under the skin but just a little. I try to go heavy on the skin.

Did they feed the goose gold shavings? Wow I had no idea goose was so expensive. I think you are on the right path. I try to get rub under the skin but just a little. I try to go heavy on the skin.
Yes, exactly what I thought, must have been gold shavings! But the truth is, that's what it comes down to when it's about an all natural ("bio") goose here.

Going heavy on rub is what concerns me, because the turkey (although turned out nearly perfect) partly had a too salty skin, which was my fault by having too much too coarse sea salt in the spiced butter, so I better go easy on the salt this time. I also can not go too peppery because our black pepper is really hot and not suitable for the kids. Applying rub with or without EVOO? I am a little skeptical that the rub will stick to the skin after it being overnight in the fridge for drying up the skin.

Oh man. Looks great so far! Takes me back to the first time I ever had goose. I was about 8 and it was at my dad's team leader's house (He was Bayerischer I think) and none of my sisters would touch it. I asked for thirds. Frau Wagner always gave me a smile when she saw me after that.

WHAT!...you're cookin' the golden goose...hope it laid a bunch of eggs...keep us posted.

Well, so far so good, it's still in the brine for the next 8 to 12 hours, then it will be rinsed and dried, then it goes into the fridge for drying up the skin till tomorrow morning. I'd say I'll start the fire in about 13 hours. All the pr0n goes into a new thread about that cook afterwards. Wish me luck! :smile:

I've only used goose fat (rendered from a roast bird, not smoked) for roast potatoes, and they are great! Nice flavour and very crisp - good roasties, although leftovers do tend to soften the next day more than those cooked in lard/dripping/EVOO.

Back