Stainless 55 gal drum or Galvanized

AggieRam

Reaction score
I saw some drums today at a "salvage" yard type place. The looked like stainless drums from the highway but when i got a closer look, they were dull and kind of resembled the galvanized "speckled" look. Do they even make galvanized drums? The label said it contained "IPC Odorant" & with no visible haz-mat labels & had a "UN" number on a seperate bottom label. The person wanted $30 for each and were in really good shape. What do you all think?

2 things:

Never used galvanized...the chemicle reaction from heat exposure is toxic..

and

You can get em cheaper than that used. I've seen some go as low as 7$ a pop...great condition too..

Anyone care to elaborate?

I'll buy all the stainless for thirty bucks all day long. They cost me new over fourty plus times that. So what I'm saying is galvanaized and don't waste your time. Steve.

As much as I despise the "Galvanic Police" even I would stay away from a galvanized drum.

If it's actually stainless, buy all you can. If it's galvanized, don't buy any.

Thanks for all the replies!

Go back with a magnet. IF IT DOES NOT STICK BUY THEM ALL.

^^^^^^I'll try this next time I head out to the town I saw them in (about 30 min away). I did not know about this trick. Is there anything different i need to do to preapre a SS for a UDS build? I thought $30 was not bad if they are SS. I can get the standard steel drums for $5.

My uds is galvanized.

Few minutes and a gallon of mecuritic acid and the galvanized.was.gone from inside the drum.

Nasty fumes, you need to wear protective gear.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTQuanBn.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No kiddin?
Does that really work? That's a great idea. Looks good.

My uds is galvanized.

Few minutes and a gallon of mecuritic acid and the galvanized.was.gone from inside the drum.

Nasty fumes, you need to wear protective gear.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTQuanBn.jpg

THEY DO EXIST! :shocked: Like i posted earlier, i wasn't even sure galvanized drums existed. I did a brief search online and couldn't come up with anything. Where can I get the acid from?

THEY DO EXIST! :shocked: Like i posted earlier, i wasn't even sure galvanized drums existed. I did a brief search online and couldn't come up with anything. Where can I get the acid from?

My drum was marked "Lemon Juice Concentrate", not sure what was in your drums.

Anyhow the acid can be bought at Home Depot in the paint department. Or anyplace pool supplies are sold.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25e...Id=10053&langId=-1&keyword=acid&storeId=10051

Respirator:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...53&langId=-1&keyword=respirator&storeId=10051

Safety Goggles and Gloves also.

The fumes are nasty make sure you wear a mask rated for them. I wasn't sure it would remove the zinc so I did a little test pour on the lid before I got my respirator out. Big mistake.

Also get a big bag of baking soda from Costco to neutralize the acid when the inside of the drum is stripped.

Here is the MSDS sheet for IPC Odorant:

http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/MSDS/IPC_ODORANT.PDF

Decide for yourself if you want to cook food in it.

A UDS made from a galvanized drum would never reach a temperature required for a reaction that would release toxic fumes.

Why go through all that with chemicals and all the health concerns when you can just get a regular steel drum?

If you think it won't reach temps. that will harm, well that's your right. I wouldn't eat food from one period. What nobody has said is what about the fumes from that coating on the outside? I've had metal fume and Zinc poisoning from low temp exposure. So talk all you want. it's your decision. Zinc will dissipate over time, which is why the manufactuer got away with poisoning me. Laugh if you want, I got very sick from this. At this point, I'm sick of trying to help people that don't care! If you want to get sick, go right ahead. Live and learn. Steve.

vafish:
Thanks for the info! I think I'll just stick to $5 food grade drums. As mentioned in an earlier post, i wasn't sure if galvanized drums existed but it is stated directly in the MSDS sheet.

Durzil:
Excellent point.

ssbbqguy:
Sorry to hear about that, i hope there is no long term effects. Like I said, I'll just stick to the $5 food grade drums and burn out the liner.

i was looking at drums last week at my work place for possible uds candidates and found something i had not seen previously in the same drums. regular steel drum w/galvanized bottom. first one i've ever seen like that. wouldn't have noticed, except the bottom was unpainted. couldn't tell about the top, as it was painted. z

Back