What "secret" signature spice/flavor do you use in a rub?

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
You don't have to give away your whole recipe, but what "secret" signature spice or flavor do you use in your rubs that most people may not think to use?

For example, some people use coffee, some use chocolate, some use cinnamon. Just a unique flavor that sets your rub apart. Not paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, etc.

If you don't want to give yours away, no need to reply. Just trying to get the creative juices flowing.

Nutmeg, and coriander used in just barely able to taste amounts works well especially with pork and chicken but can give a nice flavor to brisket also.

Aleppo chile is one of my secret ingredients in my homemade rubs it has a raisin and cumin flavor with a moderate heat level.

i am fortunate to have a grocer who has numerous dried chili peppers that can not be found elsewhere. Each time I make a rub I use something different from the selections.

I like to experiment a bit, so I've used everything from lime juice powder to powdered beer. (Yes, there is such a thing:-D)

Cumin is one of my faves for rubs and also when I make chilie but I'm getting a little spicy wanderlust and am looking to expand my horizons.

I use my homemade granulated garlic, and garlic powder, from my homegrown garlic.It provides a flavor that can't be duplicated with commercial garlic.

I think it's the ground clove that really sets my rub apart. Although I saw some pretty cool stuff on SpiceBarn.com that I really want to experiment with...

Back