JOS August Class- My Journal

btcg

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
DEPARTURE: T-MINUS (approx) 37 hours until departure.
ROUTE: Potomac, MD to Perry, GA
DESTINATION: Unadilla, GA via Perry, GA
SPECIFICS: Jack's Old South August Class

Journal Entry 1

(CUE Music... Carly Simon's "Anticipation")
So, after months of waiting, we're merely hours away from departure. As an FYI, a number of us brothers (or is that brethers?) organized, and will be attending Mr. Myron Mixon's August JOS Cooking School. In the tradition of other brothers that have bravely gone before us (yeah, that's you, Frenchman), I thought I'd keep y'all appraised as to our adventures. IF, you're interested, that is.

Here's the plan: 3 of us, myself, Shiz-Nit, and Saucy Butt's will be staying together in Perry, GA, and SB and I will be travelling together from Maryland. SB & I will be leaving Thursday morning, sometime around 7am. This will allow us to travel in a manner more that's more 'lesure' than hectic, and will get us to Perry, Georgia sometime in the late-afternoon/early evening range. We may stop and have lunch at Tuffy's Cool Smoke, or similiar. Gonna play it by ear.

Shiz lives about the same travel distance to Georgia as SB & I, but in another area of the country. He'll be hitting the road sometime during the afternoon and should arrive in Perry late Thursday. By the time he arrives, we'll already be checked in, and will have a room key and cold adult beverage ready and waiting for Shiz. The hard part (the travel) will be behind us, and Friday can be spent hangin out and having a good time, versus having to fight Friday traffic.

The Thursday ride should go pretty smooth for SB & I. Just bought a Hyandui Sante Fe SUV, so I'm pretty sure we'll make it there safely. Last thing you want to happen is to break down in Georgia, and get stuck trapsing off into the woods or something. With my luck, I'd run into somebody who looked like Gore, and the theme to "Deliverance" would start playing (sudden SHUDDER).

But on a loftier topic: Myron doesn't allow voice taping, and although I may entertain y'all with a few nightly allusions, I won't be providing a "play by play" of the class, if you take my meaning. Not fair to us, or Myron, to do so. BUT, no reason I can't let ya'll see some good photo's, and a few useful tips (Mr. Mixon, of course, willing).
So, we're mere hours from departure, and watch this space for updates, my fellow brothers!

Your brother,
Bill

OH, forgot: Shiz-Nit and Saucy Butt's, check your private messages.

Looking forward to hear how everything goes!!!

Great class!...Myron and his crew are some of the coolest people you'll ever meet..we were there in Feb. and since then we have 2 reserve grands under our belt in 4 comps..tell him the Left Coast Q crew says to show you some of that southern love!

Sounds like a good time!! I eagerly await your report! And try to have some fun guys!

I'll see you guys there. Looking forward to everything but the flight/drive.

I am so ready get this trip rolling we are going to have a dayum good time and learning experience I do believe.
I think we will represent the BBQ Brethern just fine. I got my Brethren shirt already packed along with the rest of my gear.
See ya all soon

Let us know if you think it is worth the money, I'm looking at the November class. It would be nice to know what I don't know. Keep us posted, and thanks, it is hot down here, enjoy.

Have a great time guys. Do you know how many people are in this class?

The email trail between the attendees includes 40 email addresses I believe. I assume 40 is the total number of people, but its possible there are multiple people using the same email address if they registered together or something. I'm guess around the 40-50 mark though.

One tip: you might want to refrain from the Deliverance jokes down here. We don't mind making them ourselves, but when we hear them from a Yankee some get a might touchy.

Welcome to Georgia! I'm sure y'all will have a great time here in the heart of BBQ country at Brother Myron's place.

Bill clear out some of your private messages as your box is full and I am trying to get back to you.

Journal Entry 2

So, after a nearly 12 hour ride, Tom & I arrived in Perry, Ga. Perry is a nice little city, and after checking in, Tom & I drove around Perry, and decided to have dinner at the Longhorn Steak House. If any of you decide to attend one of Myron's classes, you want to stay in Perry, and the Longhorn is a great place to eat. I had the prime rib... very rare. Tom did a stuffed chicken breast. Both dishes were excellent. They have a great keg of Blue Moon there, which capped a perfect meal.

Got back to the suite, and we watched the latest version of BBQ Pitmasters. Both Tom & I were disappointed with the new show's format. They actually sent a team home from cooking bad catfish? C'Mon. I thought this was a BBQ contest? I guess we'll have no choice but to embrace the show, but one thing: I was offended by the cowgirl. I'm a christian myself, but don't try and force me into saying a prayer. No place for this on a TV show.

Shiz got here just a while ago. The three of us are discussing BBQ techniques.

As a quick aside, had occasion to get a phone call from our exaulted leader the other night: BBQchef33. I must say, he's the kind of guy that I'd follow into a hail of bullets: articulate, intelligent, and sincere. We'll be doing our best to represent the brotheren in the manner he expects.

You guys are livin the dream. have fun and take plenty of notes.

Guys,

Have fun down there! I'm signed up for the Oct 1 class myself. My haul is quite a bit shorter though, since I'll be coming down from the Atlanta area.

I heard that Friday dinner is sometimes catfish...

Don

Back