What time should I put the meat on?

Johnny_Crunch

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am having my first go with my UDS and I need to have everything ready by 3 pm tomorrow. What time should I have my food on the fire? I am cooking 2 - 5 lb butts and 1 11 lb brisket. How long would you guys give to finish this on time?

Sorry to say, butt, (pun intended), they will be done when they are done. My first bb took 11 hours, two 8 pounders if I remember right. It's internal temps that will determine when they are done. But the wait is so worth it.......

I'm sitting on a hot and fast bb cook as I type this. Suppose to take 5 hours with high heat (350-375) then a nap for 3 hours. So even a hot and fast takes 8 hours!! Check out: ed@kickassbbq.com for the hot and fast method.

Just sayin.....

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

225-250, I was thinking of starting at around 8 pm today. Too early? Too late?

You will be fine if you start at 8 pm today...you will have time to wrap it and place it in a Cooler also...12 hours ought to be sufficient enough...So if you cook the Butt 12 hours you will have plenty of time in between your event time

First cook that pretty ambitous. Might want to load it up about 6 or so tonight and get her going so you can get the temp under control etc... before it gets too late. The meat can always rest or go back in the oven to warm it up but you shouldn't cut your self short and try to rush it.

Back