Is Minion the only method for the WSM?

F

Fmacdonell

Need advice to get a long burn for a brisket. Seems like lump charcoal burn 2 hours and then looses its mo. Your comments please!

I'd definitely do minion for a brisket. Load the ring full of unlit. Light about half a chimey or so and you should be set.

Minion is not the only way, but it is by far the best, IMO.

If you're using the Minion with lump, you need to take some time to make sure the lump is packed in as tight as you can get it. I pile the outside high, leave the middle low and dump in almost a full chimney of lit.

I've switched from lump to Royal Oak Chef's Select. Smells like lump, but Ithink I get a more consistent burn.

2 hours is pretty short. How hot are you running the WSM and are you sure your thermos are accurate?

Edit: 18.5 or 22.5?

I've got a 22.5" WSM and for a long cook I usually load up the charcoal ring and then light 10 briquettes. Once they are going I scatter them on the charcoal ring. I can easily get 10-12 hours running 240-260 degrees.

I've got a 22.5" WSM and for a long cook I usually load up the charcoal ring and then light 10 briquettes. Once they are going I scatter them on the charcoal ring. I can easily get 10-12 hours running 240-260 degrees.
I roll the same way on my UDS at 230-250 I get about 16 hrs at 300I get 7 on RO lump Basket is 18X6

Minion with 10-15 lit coals on top will burn 14-16 hours at 250 in my WSM. I stopped using lump because I get a longer and more consistent burn with briquettes.

I load my WSM charcoal ring to the top, with wood chunks mixed in.
I light it in 3 places with a high output propane torch.
I get long burn times with this method.

Bob

Basic "minion method" has never failed me on the WSM, and reloading has never been a concern on anything shorter than 5-6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minion here, as well. But with a mix of K Blue and lump. I use a coffee can with the bottom cut out to create the space to drop the lit coals then pack tight around it.

Minion here, as well. But with a mix of K Blue and lump. I use a coffee can with the bottom cut out to create the space to drop the lit coals then pack tight around it.

x2, I have had good luck with both, but the coffee can is my preference.

Back