View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Upcoming first competition and they moved me into the Pro Division

So I finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at the competitive world of bbq. I entered the Backyard division of the Atlanta BBQ Festival (KCBS event in September). The event organizers called me and apologized that the Backyard had filled up, but offered to let me compete in the pro division. I decided to give it a shot.

My main concern is brisket for two reasons, cost and inconsistency. I am pretty confident in all the other categories, and if I were in the backyard division, this could be a stress free environment. Going against the big boys in the pro division has me stressed. My brisket has always been hit or miss, and the one I cooked last weekend was a total miss. So my question is this, should I not worry about brisket and really focus on what I am good at? I don't have the smoker space to cook multiple briskets at comp. I'm cooking on a Lang 36 and a XL BGE.

I really just wanted to experience the competition environment and hopefully make some new friends that have the same passion for bbq as me.