Brisket on WSM

Brisket on WSM: Fat side up or fat side down?

• Fat side up

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Fat side down

Votes: 46 51.1%
  • I've tried both with equal results

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those smoking with a WSM, do you smoke briskets fat side up or fat side down?

im getting a WSM, and from the look of the cooker i would cook fatside down due to cookin directly over the heatsource, even though there is a buffer there i would imagine it would work better fat side down

Fat cap down. Seems counterintuitive, but it's the right thing to do.

Cap down, but I've had similar results from both. So thats what I voted!

....but then I don't think I've cooked enough Briskets in exactly the same conditions to comment......but as this is the internet.....:twisted:

Never used a WSM, but all mine go fat cap up. Looks as though I am the only one saying that, but the fat drips all over the rest on top. Just me though.

Doorbusters said:
Never used a WSM, but all mine go fat cap up. Looks as though I am the only one saying that, but the fat drips all over the rest on top. Just me though.

Doorbusters, I was a fat cap up guy too, until I got intrested in the threads on this forum about up or down, and I did a side by side, and decided that fat cap down was overall the best option for brisket. Works for me, YMMV.:-D

I actually flip mine sometime during the cook. I usually sart with cap up and then down at the end. Granted, I've only done 2 so far and the first one was a disaster. The seond one turned out pretty OK.

I follow the Baron of BBQ's brisket by halves, estimate the cook time at 1:20 to 1:30/ lb, start it fat side down run down half the time, flip it over FSU run half the remaining time, flip it FSD run half te remaining time, flip it FSU run out the rest of the time.

Ergo it spends 62.5% fat side down, and 37.5% fat side up.

So perhaps I should change my vote to more down than up, or try it fsu to start and see how that works?

Always 1000% fat up for me!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I started off doing briskets fat up and then with all the talk about fat down protecting etc., I decided to give it a try fat down. First one I did wasn't close to my fat up, so I figured it was something I did so I gave it a shot a couple more times with similar results. So now I stick to what works and fat up, fat up, fat up is my preferred and only method!

FWIW, I've done them both ways on my Gator Pit and Primos and the fat side up always comes out superior to the fat down!

Have I mentioned I like to cook my briskets fat side up?? Sometimes I have a problem making my self clear! :oops::oops:

Fat side down for me. Lately it has been mostly fat side off. I started trimming mine a whole lot closer than I used to and am enjoying the results. Cutting down to about a 1/4" cap and dam near seperating the point and flat to get as much of the fat out as I can. Then inject with a modified version of Dr BBQ's big beef injection and marinade overnight. The brisket cooks faster and has a great flavor.

I cook mine fat side up in my WSM and BWS. I usually flip about 3-4 hours into the cook. That has worked for me...

up on top rack ..down on bottom since i use sand in my pan

I also trim mine to about 1/4" and trim away the vast majority of the fat between point and flat. That chunk doesn't render anyway! I'm going to try fat down , mostly because I want to eliminate the grate marks on the meat from cooking fat side up.

Back