WSM OR Akorn?

Akorn comes with different setups, metal and wood tables mostly. I've done my homework on them. They work, are fuel efficient, are the cheapest way into that style cooker, but the "are the cheapest way into that style cooker" so don't forget that.

It will never be kept outside, and only used occasionaly!!PHEWWWW I will continue to research...

.. just want to to get a smaller kettle to where I can build a fire once in a while, that smokes and sears?

Then just get the Weber One Touch Gold 22.5" Kettle. It grills and smokes as well. And it's only $149. And it's porcelain coated like the WSM.

Big Poppa Smoker?

Well since someone brought it up....YEP. If someone hasn't used it then they won't understand. It's flat out the most versatile cooker that smokes grills and sears in multiple ways and does it very very well.

Ok I will check out Big Poppa Smokers, Going to bed more confused than when I posted this thread.. Thanks for all of your inputs!!

Ok I will check out Big Poppa Smokers, Going to bed more confused than when I posted this thread.. Thanks for all of your inputs!!

Question is, would you be interested in building your own UDS? The Big Poppa Smoker is a kit so you'd have to get a 55 gallon drum and make it yourself.

Altogether it'll cost you around $250 to make it (or more depending on type of drum or if you get it powder coated, etc..)

I have an Acorn and a WSM, if I want steaks and burgers I pull out the Acorn and if I want to smoke I grab the WSM. Yes I can smoke on the Acorn but why would I since I have a WSM if I want pizza I'll pull out the Acorn as well.

OK, the original poster likes his Yoder but wants something small, quick, and cheap for grilling.

I don't think that's a UDS - not for grilling.

What he really wants is a small and cheap Yoder.

Sounds exactly like the Traeger PTG. It's 300 bucks, it's portable, it can grill or smoke, and it's a pellet grill so he can use the same fuel as the Yoder.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ020

I have both and the akorn for sure when it comes to grilling. They like to run hotter. Enjoy!

Weber Performers have plastic tables. OTG's have plastic handles on the lid and kettle...despite not being insulated like the Akorn. I see no issue.

Well I was more concerned with the tables.. but it turned out they aren't plastic. I had a gas grill before with plastic tables on each side and I burned it like the 2nd day I had it.

Akorn all the way. Versitilty. You can smoke, sear, grill and bake.

I forgot about pizza!

Yes maam! :becky: You def cant go wrong with either but putting versitility into perspective akorn is hard to beat. Im basing my statements off of owning a kamado grill.

I love my 22.5 WSM and have modded the firebasket so that I can use it to direct sear steaks, burgers, etc. But that's the benefit to me of the WSM is that I have a dedicated smoker that I can also grill with.

If you are going to have the Yoder for smoking, then I would suggest one of the Weber kettle grills for your grilling needs. You can buy cheaper, but you'll be replacing it in 3 to 5 years...

Back