• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

uds charcoal basket?

Crunky

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't have a proper charcoal basket for the uds yet. My dad is going to help me weld one up in a couple of weeks, but I'm trying to throw something together to use in the meantime.
I have run it twice using an old brake drum and chicken wire, but I can only get it up to ~200 degrees or so.

Any ideas for a ghetto/temporary basket?

You dont need to WELD anything. Expanded steel and some nuts+bolts is all you need for a makeshift one anyways

Expanded Metal works GREAT!! Get on of those 24' sheets at Home Depot or ACE. a couple of 1 inch bolts and your good to go. I would cut the Expanded Metal in half and attach it together. Works great in my UDS!!

Good Luck!

Expanded Metal works GREAT!! Get on of those 24' sheets at Home Depot or ACE. a couple of 1 inch bolts and your good to go. I would cut the Expanded Metal in half and attach it together. Works great in my UDS!!

Good Luck!

+1 on this approach. Just DO NOT use galvanized nuts/bolts etc. Funky things can happen - i.e. toxic fumes. Good Luck.

+1 on this approach. Just DO NOT use galvanized nuts/bolts etc. Funky things can happen - i.e. toxic fumes. Good Luck.

if you get galvanized soak them in vinager and it will remove the galvanized

I used Cowgirls design and it requires no welding. Use a 24" piece of expanded metal, bend 4 6" sides up leaving a 12" square base. Bolt it all together and you are all set. I can post a pic if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I just didn't want to waste any money on expanded steel just to buy more next week to build a sturdier basket.

As far as air flow goes, I'm not really sure to be totally honest. I have two 3/8" holes, and two 1/2" holes 2 inches from the bottom of the barrel, spaced 90 degrees from each other. As for exhaust, I have eight 1/4" holes evenly spaced around the lid.

Not enough airflow, with holes that size, especially exhaust. Bore the exhaust holes out to 1/2".

Noticed your initial post said using "chicken wire" and brake drum for temporary basket. Chicken wire is galvanized more often than not so get rid of that, or soak in vinager as stated above.

Cool guys, I think I'll head to Home depot tomorrow morning and grab some expanded steel and bore out the intake/exh.
Any recommendations on intake sizes? I have a step bit that goes up to 1/2", so thats as big as I can go; unless i break out the Dremel and make ugly holes.

Here's a few cheap suggestions:

Use an old car rim spaced an inch off the bototm of the drum and fold your chicken wire in the bottom of the rim. Looks like the inside of a BGE eh!

Cut a 2" exhaust in the lid and get a sheet magnet to cover it when you're eating!

Cut a 2" intake and use a sheet magnet to control that
plug the rest of your little holes. This isn't the only way but I think its the cheapest for you.

Back