WSM and this STUPID door!

Thanks for the RED vs Black warning

I've been using a cut up magnetic picture frame for almost 1year and they did fine, I just wanted something pretty for my first comp. By the way black hi temp isn't food safe, the red rtv silicone is, thats what I made my dome lid gasket out of.

Is furnace cement ok to use inside the smoker? I'm debating on how to seal up a dryer duct I'm connecting to the smoke stack inside. I read silicone is hard to remove (if i ever need to replace the duct) but the furnace cement is more brittle and therefore easier to remove.

Im not real happy with this Weber right now. Ive had problems with the door since day one, that I thought I had fixed tonight. I put a gasket on the door and it didn't leak a drop of smoke. The wife opened the door and the gasket fell off into the fire. Now there is more smoke coming from the door than the vent holes. This is NOT good!

Ive tried everything short of throwing this thing away. Ive tried shaping it, tin foil, now a gasket...nothing helps.

Anyone wanna buy a WSM? :wink::shocked::roll:

Your right that's not good. Stop worrying about that door and work clean "smoke". The smoke venting from your wsm should be like me, invisible

Is furnace cement ok to use inside the smoker? I'm debating on how to seal up a dryer duct I'm connecting to the smoke stack inside. I read silicone is hard to remove (if i ever need to replace the duct) but the furnace cement is more brittle and therefore easier to remove.

Not too sure about furnace cement. See if you can Google a msds sheet on it.

Mine is twelve years old. It used to seem to leak. A few years back I started putting the door on upside down and that has really helped.

I just used a natural gasket of grease. Works like a charm, and the smoke cooked it into this closed off wondrous seal.

Of course I also cook with my W.S.M. lid cracked open anyway almost all of the time so I can get up to those sexay hot and fast temps, so I wouldn't really give a damn if the door did leak anymore, but back when I first got it I was all about 'temp control' so that was my answer.

I'll 2nd the Permatex... only get the "Gold" (it's actually brick colored) it's good up to 700° and easy to handle. You can use it as a gasket by itself (designed to make exhaust manifold gaskets) or use it to secure Rutland "Graphoglass" gasket material (from the furnace store or ACE hardware). If you use the Rutland, be sure to get the flat stuff, not the rope, scrunch it so that it's about 2/3 of its original length and press it into the Permatex while it's fresh & wet. Used that method on my BGE.

If all else fails, just box it up and send it to me. I could use a second... :mrgreen:

If I had a WSM with a leaky door that allowed me to easily cook at 300, I would consider myself blessed.

Why don't you find some pork shoulders on sale, cook up about 4 of them. Leak issue solved. All the bbq gunk build up will seal that door. I honestly don't see how this is a deal breaker, you get to cook up a bunch of good food and seal your door at the same time.

Im not real happy with this Weber right now. Ive had problems with the door since day one, that I thought I had fixed tonight. I put a gasket on the door and it didn't leak a drop of smoke. The wife opened the door and the gasket fell off into the fire. Now there is more smoke coming from the door than the vent holes. This is NOT good!

Ive tried everything short of throwing this thing away. Ive tried shaping it, tin foil, now a gasket...nothing helps.

Anyone wanna buy a WSM? :wink::shocked::roll:

Have youtried this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CI7A69I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : 1/2" x 1/8" Nomex High Temp BBQ gasket smoker pit seal, self stick : Smoker Door Gaskets : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410W17q-AqL.@@AMEPARAM@@410W17q-AqL[/ame]

I've used it on my masterbuilt vertical smoker and its been great. Self adhesive and haven't fallen off yet

I've never had a real issue with them either, but you could look into a Cajun Bandit door for it, have heard good things about them, just never felt the need

I had the very same trouble with my WSM, and it was frustrating because of the temp spikes. My UDS holds temps like a champ, and the WSM was just all over the place. Around the same time, I got a Kamado and have never looked back, and sold the WSM.

However, had I not purchased the Kamado, I was moving in the direction of getting the Cajun Bandit door, which many here have had great luck with in terms of stopping the leaks.

I cook in Canadian winter with the original door and no issues. this is being over thought there is nothing on a wsm that cant be lightly tweaked when its out of round.

I upgraded to a Cajun Bandit door on my 18.5 WSM and couldn't quite get it to fit perfectly until I modified it and added a compression latch. With the compression latch the door spreads slightly when the latch is drawn down and locked it creates a really tight fit. It actually appears as though it might even be water tight now! No gasket needed.

In all seriousness, I live here in Marietta and would be glad to take a look at it for you. My door leaked a little, but an hour of tweaking was all it took to tighten her down. It's a pain, but well worth the time, and it'll only cost you a beer or two.

That's a mighty fine offer by Noah. I'll say that both my WSMs "leak" from the door, although it's not noticeable once the fire settles down. As far as maintaining temp, I've messed around (with no meat on) and have been able to hold 225. Water in the pan helps with holding lower temps. But in practice I've never found much reason to cruise anywhere south of 275, so I've never attempted any gaskets or replacement doors.

Back