Those of you with Assassin smokers

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Especially those of you with the 28 model. Do you find that it takes a long time for the temp to rebound after opening with the 10cfm fan? I'm thinking about moving up to the 25cfm and I want to get others opinions before I do.

Where is the damper set on the fan? Just like firing it up, if you make it recover to quickly it will probably over shoot. Sometimes I will shut the Guru off, take meat out, foil and do others things then shut the door and let it recover on its own for about 5 min before turning the fan back on.

Where is the damper set on the fan? Just like firing it up, if you make it recover to quickly it will probably over shoot. Sometimes I will shut the Guru off, take meat out, foil and do others things then shut the door and let it recover on its own for about 5 min before turning the fan back on.

Wide open, along with ball valve being wide open.

How long is it taking to recover? It shouldn't take long with the damper wide open.

How long is it taking to recover? It shouldn't take long with the damper wide open.

In excess of 15 minutes or more sometime. Now, this was with Kingsford regular. I've since moved to RO lump and haven't tested it but I thought it was strange it was taking so long to recover back to the temp set on the DigiQ

10 to 15 min is about what my SS-2 takes to recover on Rancher, you should see a little difference with the lump and you may have to adjust the damper a little, just keep a watch on it.

I would think 15 or 20 minutes is a respectable recovery time, you have a lot of cubic feet of air space to reheat. This is why the olf saying came about, "if you're looking, you ain't cooking". Imagine an uninsulated cooker. You might turn the "open door" feature off and see if that helps at all.

I have a regular Assassin and unless I leave the door open a long time, it will recover in about 10 minutes. I think that the 25cfm fan would be overkill.

Picked up my assassin 28 about 5 hours ago and i think that the 10 cfm is overkill….just my first impressions.

Agree with Picket and MEP. After I open my door to "play with the meat" whether it is checking, rotating, moving, peeking, wrapping, or basting my meat, Assassin recovers back to temp in just minutes flat. Like 5 minutes, I don't ever recall as long as 10 minutes. And that's with the 10 cfm blower, viper knife valve open all the way, ball valve open about 1/3.

25 cfm blower is unnecessary, and may even be detrimental to performance. YMMV.

I not familiar with the size of the 28 or here to suggest one is better than the other. But with a 10cfm fan my stumps baby recovers from 160s-225 in roughly 10 mins.

I only have about 10 cooks on the Assassin28, so I am still learning all of the little quirks to make it run the way I want it too. But in my opinion I wouldn't go any higher than a 10 cfm fan. I have used the 10 cfm fan (w/ the ball valve wide open) with both the Guru and a Stoker on the Assassin28. With the Guru, it takes about 45 min to come to temp, and 10 min to recover when the door is opened. Less if I don't have the door open to long (like when I am just spritzing ribs). I do not use the open lid detection on the Guru, nor do I turn it off when I open the door. Overall the Guru works great with the 10 cfm fan.

The 10 cfm fan on the Stoker seems to have a lot more power. With the Stoker it took 20 min to come up to temp, and about 5 min to recover when the door is opened, regardless of how long. But with the Stoker, the temp has over shot on a couple of occasions when the door was opened. With the Stoker I do turn it off before I open the door, and give it a couple of min for the temp stabilize when it’s closed before I turn the Stoker back on. With that said, I have an extra 5 cfm fan for the Stoker that I am going to try out. I think the smaller fan will work a lot better with the Stoker for the overall cook. The only downside is that it may take the cooker a little longer to initially come up to temp.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have to say that with the cook last night and using nothing but Royal Oak the temp recovered very quickly with the 10cfm fan. I think the problem was the Kingsford just wasn't putting out the heat that RO was.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have to say that with the cook last night and using nothing but Royal Oak the temp recovered very quickly with the 10cfm fan. I think the problem was the Kingsford just wasn't putting out the heat that RO was.
How many minutes did it take to recover using the Royal Oak?

I stopped using Kingsford and went to Stubbs, haven't tried RO but am happy with the burn time of the Stubbs.

Back