Traders Village in DFW

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anybody other than the usual suspects going this weekend?

I'll be stopping by tomorrow morning to see a few folks, before I need to get over to the Cotton Bowl.

Ty, Come on out and just cook the backyard chicken. On Saturday, just a day cook. You might like it.

Ty, Come on out and just cook the backyard chicken. On Saturday, just a day cook. You might like it.

Can't get off work again. I might rotate to work Sun-Tues in January. That way if I want to do a comp, i would take Sun off to recover instead of Fri & Sat. I hate working wekends....

I sthis Texas OU weekend ? Information deprived up here.

It is TX/OU weekend, and a great one it has been. I made it out to Traders early this morning to see a few folks, and then went to the Cotton Bowl. I didn't want to wake Tony up...so good luck to everyone I didn't get to see.

Letting Tony sleep seems to have been the right thing to do. Congrats on the ribs Tony!

Explain this contest to me, Jorge...
I was just taking a look at results and reading some other stuff about it this morning. Looks like there is a regular IBCA comp, but also an invitational. The invitational is just one meat? And it's not a normal IBCA category...right? Is that always the case? What do you have to do to get in to the invite...win a grand champ or just place first in an individual category?

Ok each year the IBCA will have an invitational at Traders Village along with the Obie-Cue backyard chicken cookoff. The type of meat changes each year for the invitational. Last year it was pork loin and this year pulled pork(not shredded). I believe the year before that it was turkey breast.

On Saturday they had the Backyard chicken, the pulled pork invitational and the beans. On Sunday, they had the regular cookoff with chicken ribs and brisket. This year there was a rather small turn out. We had just under 90 teams show up. last year we were at 130 teams.

Many good teams didn't get a call, so I was very happy to get called in ribs. They have been going pretty good for me this year though so I figured if I was gonna get a call, it would be in that category. I did like my brisket too and had my fingers crossed up til the last call. Chicken is just a crapshoot in a comp of that size.

That was pretty much my last event of the year unless I participate in a recently added event at Kennendale http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2008/kennedale.pdf

All in all it was a good year and my cooking picked up in brisket/ribs and went all to hell in chicken.

I think you've got the idea. Qualification is a GC or win in one of the three standard IBCA categories (brisket, spares, 1/2 chicken). For the invitational there is an added category, in addition to the standard three.

Clear as mud?:mrgreen:

If I could afford to take off work, I'd give it a go. But I think I need to wait until 2009 to take anymore time off. I might try to rotate my schedule to Sun-Tues and just go in dead tired on Sundays after comps.

I think you've got the idea. Qualification is a GC or win in one of the three standard IBCA categories (brisket, spares, 1/2 chicken). For the invitational there is an added category, in addition to the standard three.

Clear as mud?:mrgreen:

You are correct on what it takes to qualify for the invitational, a GC or 1st place in any one of the meat categories in any IBCA sanctioned contest. I could have been a little bit clearer.

As far as the invitational itself, it is just the one meat which changes each year. The prize money isn't all that much so I guess one meat is acceptable.

The Sunday event itself did have added money though. I think I got twice as much added money as the actual prize money. The guy who won 1st place in one of the categories, I think it was brisket, wasn't a member of IBCA so he missed out on $575 and the prizes slipped one place and the final table 16th place finisher received a check too. That is one great thing about IBCA, the money is more greatly distributed amongst the teams. If there is a grand champion cash award it isn't normally all that high. I think this adds to allowing more teams the enjoyment and brings back more teams for a chance at the cash. Sometimes you only need to walk in one category to have the event covered cash wise.

You are correct on what it takes to qualify for the invitational, a GC or 1st place in any one of the meat categories in any IBCA sanctioned contest. I could have been a little bit clearer.

As far as the invitational itself, it is just the one meat which changes each year. The prize money isn't all that much so I guess one meat is acceptable.

The Sunday event itself did have added money though. I think I got twice as much added money as the actual prize money. The guy who won 1st place in one of the categories, I think it was brisket, wasn't a member of IBCA so he missed out on $575 and the prizes slipped one place and the final table 16th place finisher received a check too. That is one great thing about IBCA, the money is more greatly distributed amongst the teams. If there is a grand champion cash award it isn't normally all that high. I think this adds to allowing more teams the enjoyment and brings back more teams for a chance at the cash. Sometimes you only need to walk in one category to have the event covered cash wise.

I was typing and multitasking as your post was going up, you covered it well the first time.

Great explanation on the added money. On one hand I like looking at a KCBS contest and knowing how much money there is, and how deep it goes. For a IBCA event I'm stuck guessing how many people will be cooking, figuring the entry fee, and wondering about the added money. That being said, I don't favor one over the other. Both work.

True about guessing how many folks will be coming. You really never know with some of these events. Last year at Arlington we had about 25 teams, I took third so I figured I was gonna do pretty good this year. Then I show up and there are 45 treams including all of the heavy hitters, I ended up with one call.... ouch. Then the opposite happens and there are less teams and you always wonder why.

When I show up at an event, I can usually look around at the teams and know what type of weekend I am going to have. It appears that I always hit the events with Lynn as head judge and that usually means a lot of heavy hitters will be there. Not that I don't get my share of calls, it just means that things are more evenly dispersed and instead of getting calls in all the categories, you might get only one or two calls.

Each one of the active pits in IBCA has added money events. Here are our active pits: Texas BBQ Association, Southwest Arkansas BBQ Association, South Texas BBQ Association, Third Coast BBQ Association, Pineywoods BBQ Association, Western States BBQ Association, Blackland BBQ Association, Louisiana BBQ Cookers Association and Rio Grande BBQ Association.

I try to make the added money events. I am a member of a few pits. At ten dollars per pit, it is worth it to get some bonus money once in a while.

Back