Alligator Meat

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to try something less common. I was wondering if anyone ever tried grilling or smoking alligator meat. What did you do? If smoked what
wood did you use to smoke it? did you use bbq sauce? what about a dry rub? Who thinks smoking alligator is a good idea? What should the internal temp be?

I checked my cookbook library and after searching 300 cookbooks with 17,000 recipes I can only find to recipes for alligator and both of them are grilled.

I've only eaten alligator once and it was pretty lean. It's probably more of a hot & fast grilled protein than a low and slow smoke protein.

There are a couple articles on the internet about restaurants that serve whole smoked alligator. Now that would be fun.

did those recipes mention an internal temp that alligator should be cooked to? Alot of times I don't care for recipes and just use the internal temp and wing it. I have never eaten it but I for some reason had it pop into my head and I think I may order some alligator meat and try it. Just for something new to try.

did those recipes mention an internal temp that alligator should be cooked to? Alot of times I don't care for recipes and just use the internal temp and wing it. I have never eaten it but I for some reason had it pop into my head and I think I may order some alligator meat and try it. Just for something new to try.

Nope...sorry

its cool I am sure I can find an internal temp for cooking it before I try it.

Well since alligator tastes like chicken 165 would make sense.

I found a local source thanks to google. I have to travel to Pittsburgh so I probably call down on Sunday and pick some up. I got to get a chord for my iphone to hook to the computer to transfer pics again my original one got ruined. So any info anyone can dig up post it here as I am probably going to need all the info I can get.

Never had grilled or smoked gator . Most of the alligator served in my area is fried or served simmered in a sauce picante etc.

I was watching BBQ Crawl with DivaQ and when she went to the Shed in MS they served her Alligator ribs that were smoked. looked mighty tasty.

I have cooked alligator a few times now. We did practices with it before Season 2 Pitmasters and a few times since. The cuts I have grilled and BBQ have all been really solid with little to no fat.

We did tacos that were really tasty:

Pound fillets to tenderize gator meat.
Season with rub & compound butter, then cook on 600 degree grill. Very hot, very fast.
Slice or shred and serve in tacos.

I have bought the tail meat, I was told that it is more tender than other cuts.

I marinated in Italian dressing with some hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce added to make alligator kabobs that were grilled hot and fast because it was a lean piece of meat.

My In-laws live is New Orleans and bring all kinds of critter meat when they come to visit. Alligator, Mud Bugs, Fresh Whole Shrimp, Nutrea, and Alligator Gar. It add for an interesting conversation around the picnic tables.

Back