First cooks on OTG

T

Tenderfoot

So I posted a poll about what to do first on the new OTG. A post about bone in chicken thighs won my wife over. I also threw on some brats and a few hot dogs for the younger folks there. The thighs cooked for about 2 hours and were perfect. I made a coal basket and threw a little bit of hickory in there for some smoke, and I must say that temperature control was very easy once I got the hang of how the air flow worked.

Dinner tonight was two pork loin chops about 1 1/4" thick. Set up a two zone fire, seared, and finished indirect. Final temp was just over 165 and the chops were very moist and tender. My wife will NOT eat pink pork (I know, I know) unless it is a smoke ring, hence the higher temp.

All in all, I must say that I am very pleased with my first Weber kettle. I have a Smoke N Pit that I use for larger cooks, but never had a quality charcoal grill. One of the main differences I noticed was how the grill held temps and seemed to heat more evenly than the less expensive kettle style grills I have had in the past. Oh, I almost forgot. My most important ingredient:

Nice first cook and redneck champagne too AHhh the high life:wink:

By God i think he's got it:biggrin1: Nice looking cook, try a reverse sear on your chops next time (coals to one side, start chops on opposite side, when close to temp throw onto hot side to sear)

Everything looks delicious!! Nice job!

Back