How many Men will a rack of ST Louis Ribs Serve?

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, how many racks of ST. Louis trimmed ribs will I need for 40 people?

Thanks!

I would say a minimum of 25, depending on size of the guests appetite and how much you want to impress them. I can eat 6 ribs myself easily but I over indulge at times.

with other food, i count 3 folks per rack. I usually serve ribs with trays of chicken. So 3 bones and a piece of chicken is what most will take. Remember, some will take more, and other will take less so it levels out.

With ALOT of other food, 4 folks per rack.

if its the main portion of the meal, 2 per rack and then a few extra.

one rack per man. no sides needed.

Or, I actually figure that if there are the normal sides to a BBQ (tato salad, beans, cole slaw...) then three bones per person.

I'd say that if you had a couple sides and a half slab a person that you would look impressive in your offering and not stingy, or cheap.25 slabs would give you a little leeway and a couple of extra's in case of unexpected guest, or take out's .. Good Luck>> Later C

If they're really, REALLY good ribs, probably about 100.

Where I come from, 3 bones per person isnt hardly a snack. Mind you, we're EATERS
'round here. Seriously though, if it's more a social gathering with a LOT of food, 3 bones each is ok. If they're there to eat BBQ, Ribs, etc., and you make really scrumptious (my wifes word) ribs, you'll need a rack or two each. I made some 25+- racks last time and 30+- people showed up. The ribs were gone in about 30 minutes (yes, all 25 racks). Luckily I'd made another 6 9# butts to hold off the real eaters!
What can I say... I say "we're having a BBQ" and they literally fly in from Denver.
:)

Ribs only 1/2 rack per person, ribs and another protein 3 ribs per person, same if you have sides, people will still take more protein than sides. You should have in your contract what you plan on serving so if you come up short there are no arguments.

with other food, i count 3 folks per rack. I usually serve ribs with trays of chicken. So 3 bones and a piece of chicken is what most will take. Remember, some will take more, and other will take less so it levels out.

With ALOT of other food, 4 folks per rack.

if its the main portion of the meal, 2 per rack and then a few extra.

^^^ this

Thanks, brethren. There will be lots of sides as well as 48 BBQ chicken thighs and 32 quarts of chili. The person paying the bill bought a case of spares from BJs which was 12 racks. So, that's all they will be getting but with everything else I think it will be plenty.

Joe I have done two Dominion Pwr dinners this year for the work crew of all lineman, had 3 meats at each and did 4 bones pp per request and had some left over each time. I think 3 bones is sufficient.

OK, the cook went off very well. Some of the African Americans even gave me the highest of compliments by exclaiming that there was "no way a white guy cooked that BBQ."

OK, I'm officially Native American according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, but I will take the compliement as high praise.

Thanks, brethren for all your help! The cook raised money for the local food bank which is about as worthy a cause as I know of.

OK, the cook went off very well. Some of the African Americans even gave me the highest of compliments by exclaiming that there was "no way a white guy cooked that BBQ."

OK, I'm officially Native American according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, but I will take the compliement as high praise.

Thanks, brethren for all your help! The cook raised money for the local food bank which is about as worthy a cause as I know of.

Congrats on the successful event Bo, we all knew you were gonna put out some good Q, the real question is did you have enough ribs! :)

Back