Bash UDS first run

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
As mentioned in another post, this past weekend, I was cooking at a gathering called a Brethren Bash. As it happens, these fools actually trusted me to organize the Bash last year and this. Amazingly, it happened again and I think it worked out great. One of the great plusses and a real surprise was the gift to me of a custom UDS (ugly drum smoker) with beautiful wood handles from AML Woodart. Marty at AML Woodart makes some beautiful handles for various Weber and BGE products, has is also a master wood worker who I will eventually hire to make me a custom cutting board base. But, for now, here is my new UDS.

It actually has my name carved into the top handle and the phrase Itadakimasu in the handles. Many younger Japanese and non-Japanese who have been taught stateside think this phrase means let's eat. It actually mean 'I humbly receive'. And I can tell you, I am humbled that they gave me one of these, I consider these UDS cookers to be amazing for smoking meats, especially briskets. And the UDS was already seasoned, so I was good to go. I was planning on cooking three racks of baby backs and 2 pounds of pork steaks, so, I had meat and a cooker. Let's take her for a run. I loaded about 3 pounds of charcoal into the basket, fired up the coals with a weedburner and let it settle. Every UDS is a little different, the first fews cooks can be problematic, this one locked in at 235F and ran there for 5 hours.

I was trying a new rub out, with a goal of ultimately leveraging this rub into a completely different dish. The rub mix is based upon the spicing of Islamic Chinese traditions, except I used pork, which means this is more Turkish Chinese ribs. I used a variety of spices, including:

allspice berries

whole black peppercorns
whole white peppercorns
5-Spice (yes, I am lazy)
fennel seeds
cumin seeds
coriander seeds
cinnamon stick
cloves
Harissa mix
Kosher salt

Toast and grind to a powder. Coat the ribs, wrap tightly and allow to sit for an hour. Then recoat with Santa Maria rub and a second coat of the Spice rub.

These went onto the top rack for 3 hours, then the pork steaks went on and another two hours passed. I decided to go with Simpy Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub for the pork steaks. This is one of my favorite rubs for making good BBQ with pork. It is truly my go to product. The meats came off at the same time, looking like this.

There were, oddly, no cut rib shots. But, the rubs is really what I was looking for. Ultimately, the rub will be used on lamb ribs for a brasied and smoked dish. For proof of concept though, these ribs had a great balance, complex spicing and a real kick on the finish from the Harissa and white pepper. Both meats did not disappoint for the first run on my new smoker.

Bob, that present to you was a collaboration of several Brethren. You epitomize what The Brethren is all about in that you coach the newer folks as well as the older crew with an ever positive attitude. We salute you!!

It was our honor to give you that drum. We know you will use it and we hope you enjoy it!

Bob, that present to you was a collaboration of several Brethren. You epitomize what The Brethren is all about in that you coach the newer folks as well as the older crew with an ever positive attitude. We salute you!!

It was our honor to give you that drum. We know you will use it and we hope you enjoy it!

Here HERE!!! :thumb::thumb:

Well, I appreciate everyone that was involved, it will be well used.

I was not involved in this but I bow to the respect the other brethern show you sir.

And may I also say :

優雅で、寛大なあなたの相続財産へあなたの祖先からの輝いたライトおよび信用である

Nice UDS and it looked like a great feast....

I say it was actually a scheme to get more awesome pron on the site. Looks like it's working. :hungry:

The food and the UDS look great Bob. Congrats on the gift and "hats off" to all who donated to the UDS for you. Great group of people here. :thumb:

Being that I knew I was going to miss the bash due to mandatory haz mat training, i decided to stop by Greenleaf during the week, I have never met any other brethren so I figured I could at least meet Tim.
When I pulled into the parking lot, the first thing a noticed was the beautiful drum smoker (BDS), all shiny with a brand new Blue Performer lid, so when I walked up I said to the guy standing next to it.. "That drum is WAY to clean! and, you must be Marty! (I recognized him from his avatar pic.) and Martys hand made wood handles are awesome in person, gotta get some.
Then I got to meet Tim and brouse his great store and even wondered over next door for a great lunch of an ale sampler at Tap 25.
While there "Barts Blazin" stopped in, so I had my own Mini Bretheren Bash, that made my day.
Tim,..I hope I didn't talk your ear off too much!

This website inspires me, and the generosity shown to all is pretty incredible, Thanks everyone.
Steve

Steve, I have to say, meeting Marty and Dave at Tap25 is not at all odd, or even all that difficult. I think since those two guys retired, they are scheming to take over Blacksmith Square.

The rub was good, the ribs were good, the pork steaks were good, the UDS performed as planned........

:-D:thumb::-D:thumb: SUCCESS!!!! :clap2::-D:clap2::-D

I was sworn to secrecy, :tape: Friday night upon arrival at Greenleaf.

It's a beauty! Enjoy

Back