• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Cinderblock Pit Cook

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I hosted a birthday party at my place over the 4th weekend. I agreed to provide the meat if everyone brought side dishes.

I wanted to use the block pit but wanted to cut down on time so I smoked 4 butts and a brisket the day before on the Memphis Pro and my drum.
Then set up the block pit the morning of the party...

This is the block pit I used for whole hogs.

607ebc22.jpg

8b993a77-1.jpg

8fd80fc8-1.jpg

I used beer, dry rubs and leeks in my drip pans..

19dcfb89-1.jpg

added the grate...

0065ed76-1.jpg

then a third row of blocks and the meat..

87dbb3a1-1.jpg

I brushed the pork ribs with bacon drippings and seasoned with dry rub...
added a pot of pintos.

10662371-1.jpg

went with the 3-2-1 method on the ribs (kept it simple )

da6f896c-1.jpg

added the pulled pork with drippings and beef broth to keep it moist.. and also added the brisket..

d79e606f-1.jpg

50ff9919-1.jpg

the pulled pork and buns for sammiches...

f64229ab-1.jpg

brisket, ribs, sauce...

79a78692-1.jpg

someone brought mashed potatoes and gravy :)

8395d69a-1.jpg

a17384e3-1.jpg

b4ab6972-1.jpg

there's a bit more detail on how I used the block pit on my blog... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/07/cinder-block-pit-cooking.html

I use it the same way for cooking pigs, just add a few coals to the ends of the pit every 30 to 45 minutes. It maintained a temperature of 225F for this cook.

It was a fun day and everybody went home full. :)

Thanks for looking!

Oh boy! That is what the greeting party in heaven will look like!

How long did the hog in the photo take, and those 2 piles of coals,
what did they hold the cinderpit at?

Really really wonderful. Thanks for starting a Monday off with some good photos!

That looks farking amazing - you are just too much! :clap2: There's a part of my yard where my kids' fort is, & while I'm definitely in no hurry for them to grow up, I've got my eye on that spot for a brick pit - I'll try the cinderblock thing first - awesome!

Oh boy! That is what the greeting party in heaven will look like!

How long did the hog in the photo take, and those 2 piles of coals,
what did they hold the cinderpit at?

Really really wonderful. Thanks for starting a Monday off with some good photos!

Thanks Brian! :) The one in the pic took about 9 hours. I've had them take as little as 8 and as long as 10 to 12.. depending on the size of the pig and the outside air temperature. One deer season I cooked a small pig and it started snowing.. the pig took forever. :-D
The pit stayed at 225 for this cook I used a remote thermometor this time to keep track. I add 10 to 15 coals each 30 to 45 minutes to maintain the temp. Thanks again...

That looks farking amazing - you are just too much! :clap2: There's a part of my yard where my kids' fort is, & while I'm definitely in no hurry for them to grow up, I've got my eye on that spot for a brick pit - I'll try the cinderblock thing first - awesome!
I hope you do! They are an eye sore in the yard but they are great pits and sooooo cheap. Thanks! :)

Outstanding Jeanie! Glad somebody brought deviled eggs too. Nice to see a larger pic of that pig.

Thanks Guerry!! Hope you had a great 4th! :-D

Great lookin' grub, as always.

Thinkin' the Texas Mega-Bash needs to move one state north . . .

That all looks fantastic, you know how i feel about your block pit, after doing one that way I be hooked! Nice spread! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Bigsapper and Frognot!! :cool::-D

That all looks fantastic, you know how i feel about your block pit, after doing one that way I be hooked! Nice spread! Thanks for sharing.

Aqua, Aren't these block pits great. Thanks!! :thumb:

Oh WOW!:love: I wish I was there to help eat it.:thumb:
Chris I wish you would have been here too.... to do the cooking and the eating. :becky: Thanks friend...

WOW Jeanie -- Great Looking Grub (as always).

I need to finangle an invite next time :-D

TIM

Guess my invite got lost in the mail (happens to best of us:)....butt everything looks really good

out standing job...when the next one and can I get an invite?

Nice Jeannie, as usual! Thats a whole lot a food!
so this pit, you covered it? I guess I need to go read your blog!! LOL!

Looks fantastic! I would have walked off with that pile of deviled eggs and found a little hiding place somewhere till they were all gone!

Bob

Back