the underside of comp chicken

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
how important is the underside of comp chicken to appearance scores or overall scores. i got the top part looking good and had some successfull trials with bite through skin, but the underside just looks like cooked chicken. sometimes i can get the skin most of the way around it and toothpick it, but it still is not very appealing. any thoughts?

Judges score appearance before the meat comes out of the box and can't change the scores later. So as long as you have the chicken skin side up, the bottom won't have any impact on the appearance score unless the judges can see it in the box.

As for the ovarall score, just keep in mind that the way most people bite chicken the bottom will be the first thing that hits their tongue while the skin side hits the roof of the mouth. So you may want to layer your flavors with that in mind.

Judges score appearance before the meat comes out of the box and can't change the scores later. So as long as you have the chicken skin side up, the bottom won't have any impact on the appearance score unless the judges can see it in the box.

As for the ovarall score, just keep in mind that the way most people bite chicken the bottom will be the first thing that hits their tongue while the skin side hits the roof of the mouth. So you may want to layer your flavors with that in mind.
Very valid point, I have never looked at it that way!!

thanks Paul, I never really gave a thought about the underside,,,,

Back