Results, was :Got some Q going....

BigAl

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It was a Kerry day here early, couldn't decide if I was gonna Q or not very high winds this am. But I chose to go ahead late, but then, what the hey, I gots no job to go to in the morning :oops: , so what if it is late tonight when it is done. :wink:

Total cooking time, 13 hrs, smoke chamber air temp(below heat shield) was 180-200 F ( high spike 222), Kingsford for fuel, non soaked apple wood for smoke flavor, no sprays.

Frozen 3.8 lb Brisket Flat, yellow mustard brushed on and covered with Head Country Seasioning, fat side singed over flames then placed in smoke chamber, fat side down, while still frozen with purple onion slices on top.

Brisket was the best flat I have doen so far, moist and tender. Below the heat shield, it took a long time before I could get the Temp probe inserted since it went in frozen solid. In the smoke till it reached 172 F, then sauced and foiled(onions included) and back in till it reached 199, then into cooler for 9 hrs. It was still warm and moist Monday AM when I ate about 1/4 of it for breakfast. The thick onion slices prevented bark on the non fat side and inhibited much smoke on that side as well. Not sure if I will do onions again. Also don't think apple is good for beef. Frozen Brisket works but not sure it is worth the extra fuel required to defrost it, good news is that it was great. I will do the fat cap side down again.

Big Cast Iron pot of beans above heat sheild.

This was almost a full pot and the best so far, gotta love the big old cast iron pot. Sure hope I can remember what went into this batch and repeat the next time. A bowl of these is a meal in its self.

BBR, mustard and Head Country Seasioning above beans.

These were above the heat shield for 6 hrs, sauced and foiled and below the heat shield for 3-4 hrs and into cooler for 9 hrs. Great taste but not as good as the last batch, my best ever ( forgot the honey and apple is not as good as pecan IMHO for ribs)

"Chicken Rocket" whole chicken, wine and butter in the rocket, Head Country Seasioning on the skin.

First time I have tried a chicken above the heat shield, after 9-10hrs, it was a golden beauty, but wouldn't shake hands (not done). I had enough coals left in one section of the basket, so I removed the dividers and off set grilled till it was done. Alone at 1:30 am in the kitchen, I ate both legs and wings (better that Hooters wings except for the view :( )

JD Hot 1 pounder fatty.

In the top above the heat shield, I ate 1/2 of this about 6 hrs into the cook
and finished the rest today for breakfast. Warmed in the microwave, the kitchen had a great smoke smell and I dipped it in DreamLand, great stuff :D

1/4 of baloney log in the Apple wood smoke.

Above the heat shield also for 10 hrs with a great color, tried a slice of this cold today, good smoke flavor but needs to be pan fried before I would say better than "good".

!/4 of baloney log will be grilled for the 'matic.

Still on "her side" of the Frig, not tried yet.

And yep you guessed it, 1 can of Hickory SPAM sliced for the grill.

Sampled this while grilling it, I would say if it cost more, go with the original because it gets enough smoke when grilling. Spamelicious. Thanks SPAMTICUS who ever you are :!: :D

Rasbery flavored Vodka and Diet coke with lime. :D :D :roll:

What can I say, great all day and night. :D

I got to post to this thread too cus' I am having a great day....

4.5 pound flat. Nice spicy rub I made myself.

Rack of pork rib, in a nice pepper rub with a sauce i wipped up this am.

Pork loin mainated in sauce.

Makers and Coke to drink.

I am on hour 4 of the brisket and all looks good.

2 three lb pork loins going on the 20 gallon barrel. 1 rubeed with my own secret recipe and the other with my newly aquired jar of So Flav Charbroil thanks to Bill.

Got a modified minion going in the pit. So far things are going well. Just moved the loins to the oposite end of the pit to get away form some of the heat.

As always, Jack and coke is the drink of choice.

It's looking good, brisket is at 147, beans are steaming, chicken is golden, fatty is ,well not done just rolled it over, baloney is sucking up apple smoke and the BBR are looking great :!: :D

And drinks are flowing.

Q'ing and all day

I'll take a white russian with some of that vodka! Al, you got me droolin', dude. I gotta cue soon or I'll die.

man these drinks are great, I'll have another.

Posted my results in red type in my original post above, thanks, just wanted to share. PWAI. Hope it is readable.

Thanks for the DreamLand, Bill.

My Pal is on the way over with a big batch of his "Bloody Ceasor" drink and is gonna help me eat up beans and brisket, chicken and a the two ribs that are left from Sunday's cook.

1 Day Parker Bash of 2 MOD.

Sounds Great Al, and no problem on the sauce.

My pleasure

I will do the fat cap side down again.
This fat cap down has been my wake up to try and forget everything I think I know. I've "known" the proper way to cook a brisket is fat cap up for many years and I couldn't have been more wrong. Gotta keep an open mind and try everything, keep what works and keep trying new things. Al's divide (the flat and point) and conquer idea is a keeper too. Thanks Al.

kcguer,

That is what is great about this site, beliefs based on trial and not on pre conceived notions and comments by those without expermintation. Expermients and posted results both good and bad is what makes the group better.

Bill, started my Pal on a bowl of the beans then I brought out the warmed up Q and told him to try the Dream Land. He was eating brisket and BBR without dipping in DreamLand. Dipping in his beans.

I said just try it, he said "these beans are DreamLand to me". Finally got him to try it on some of the chicken. He said "well it is good but not as good as those beans".

Beans has some some Southern Flavor Cahrcoal, thanks again Bill.

Heading to "the local" Bar now. More Bash fun :D

Rasbery flavored Vodka and Diet coke with lime.
That explains that.....think you put a g where the q was supposed to go.... :twisted:

Or did you borrow Bryan's or Phil's keyboard, now that really would explain it!!! LOL

1/4 of baloney log in the Apple wood smoke.

Above the heat shield also for 10 hrs with a great color, tried a slice of this cold today, good smoke flavor but needs to be pan fried before I would say better than "good".

Pan fried a 1/2 inch thick slice of this for lunch today, a little mustard and Head Country BBQ Sauce on a hamberger bun. The smoke flavor was mostly on the outside and added to the flavor. I will do this again, it is better than good stuff. :)

Back